Man gets bit by rattlesnake, receives $153K hospital bill

Posted Jul 29, 2015 by Owen Weldon
A man from the San Diego area found himself in a hospital bed, as well as with a huge hospital bill, after he tried to snap a selfie with a rattlesnake.
The man, Todd Fassler, received a bill for the services he received earlier in July, and the total came to $153,161.25.
Fassler spent a few days in the hospital, and the billing statement included a section that showed he was billed more than $83,000 for pharmacy services.
The rest of the bill was itemized for the time he spent in the emergency room, as well as the time he spent in intensive care and recovering, as well as laboratory work.
The reason Fassler was sent to the hospital was because he spotted a venomous rattlesnake and wanted to get a selfie with it. Instead of posing with Fassler, it bit him. The bite left his left arm with deep purple bruising.
The bite was severe, and as a result the supply of anti-venom was depleted at two area hospitals. Each vial of the anti-venom goes for around $5,000 and it takes about 12 of them to treat the average snake bite.
According to the University of San Diego, about 100 rattlesnake bites take place in California every year.