http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/296420

Al Fayed says he had 'cursed' royal warrants burned

Posted Aug 22, 2010 by Lynn Curwin
Former Harrods owner Mohamed Al Fayed said that he had the royal warrants that were once displayed at the store removed and burned because they were a curse.
Harrods
Harrods
Mikegr -wikimedia commons
Al Fayed wrote to the Sunday Telegraph in response to an article he said implied the Royal family removed the warrants.
“This is not so. I ordered their removal,” his letter stated. “Later, I had them burned. They were a curse and business tripled following their removal.”
The four royal warrants at Harrods were removed 10 years ago. At that time he had said that neither the Queen, nor Prince Charles had shopped there for several years, so displaying them would be misleading and hypocritical.
In his recent letter, Al Fayed talked about the memorials to Diana, Princess of Wales and his son Dodi, which are still in the store he sold to the Qatari royal family in May. He said the memorial had been intended to be temporary, but was left in place because so many people appreciated it.
“The beautiful statue of the Princess and my son, raising their hands to a seagull, not an albatross, evokes the memory of their last summer together in the Mediterranean,” he wrote.
“It is the only memorial to the Princess in this country, if one discounts the misconceived municipal waterworks in Hyde Park that every year causes casualties among the children who slip over when paddling in it.”
He ended his letter by saying: “I believe it is improper for a highly respected newspaper to employ such ignorant columnists who write such rubbish. With regard to the Royal family visiting Harrods again, I doubt they would dare to show their faces.”