Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

UN seeks Israel access for Hamas sexual violence investigation

UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said that 'atrocious forms of sexual violence need to be thoroughly investigated'
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said that 'atrocious forms of sexual violence need to be thoroughly investigated' - Copyright AFP/File VALERIE MACON
UN High Commissioner for Human Rights Volker Turk said that 'atrocious forms of sexual violence need to be thoroughly investigated' - Copyright AFP/File VALERIE MACON
Nina LARSON

The UN rights chief voiced deep concern on Wednesday over allegations of sexual violence by Hamas militants during their October 7 attack, calling on Israel to allow his team in to investigate.

“These are very, very serious allegations and they need to be investigated, they need to be properly documented,” Volker Turk, the United Nations high commissioner for human rights, told a press conference.

“Justice must be served for the victims,” he said, stressing that he had repeatedly asked Israel for access to investigate the claims, with no response.

Turk’s comments came amid mounting criticism of the UN over its lacklustre response to the alleged rapes and other sexual violence committed during Hamas’s unprecedented attack inside Israel on October 7.

Even before forensic examinations began, an abundance of images pointed to the gruesome nature of the attacks, with pictures shared online and live footage streamed by the militants as they killed 1,200 people, mostly civilians, according to an Israeli count.

– ‘Unfounded lies’ –

In response to the Hamas attack, Israel vowed to destroy the group, and has carried out a relentless bombardment and a ground offensive in Gaza, killing more than 16,200 people, most of them women and children, according to Gaza’s Hamas-run government.

Hamas has flatly rejected accusations of rape and sexual violence during the October 7 attacks as “unfounded lies”.

Israeli police, meanwhile, say they have been exploring evidence of sexual violence, ranging from alleged gang rape to post-mortem mutilation, with a senior police officer last week saying they so far had gathered “more than 1,500 shocking and difficult testimonies”.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has repeatedly accused the Palestinian militant group of such acts, on Tuesday said that in a meeting with hostages released by Hamas he had heard “about cases of sexual abuse and cruel rapes”.

Anger over the accusations have been mounting, with US President Joe Biden this week calling for governments and international organisations to “forcefully condemn the sexual violence of Hamas terrorists without equivocation”.

– Too little, too late? –

But deeply frustrated campaigners have accused the UN of an insufficient response and the global human rights community of betrayal.

It was not until last week that the United Nations began issuing more forceful comments, including statements from UN chief Antonio Guterres and the UN Women agency.

Early on Wednesday, Catherine Russell, head of the UN children’s agency UNICEF, described the accounts of sexual violence on October 7 as “horrific”.

“Survivors must be heard, supported, and provided with care.¬†Allegations must be fully investigated,” she said on X, formerly known as Twitter.

“We condemn gender-based violence and all forms of violence against women and girls.”

However, that comment was swiftly condemned by the Israeli foreign ministry as too little, too late.

Spokesman Lior Haiat blasted Russell for not mentioning the alleged perpetrators.

“The fact that she (Russell) doesn’t mention the Hamas terror organisation is another way of turning a blind eye on the atrocities that Hamas did,” he told AFP.

“By not mentioning Hamas she is legitimising their activities”.

– Independent investigation needed –

Meanwhile, Turk highlighted that Israel itself had not responded to his repeated requests for access to investigate the allegations independently.

“We take the allegations extremely seriously,” he said, but “you need to go into quite some detailed examination of whether it’s premeditated, whether it was widespread, systematic”.

“I’m not in a position to confirm this.”

He stressed that for weeks he had “asked the Israeli authorities… to deploy a team, my team, to monitor, document, investigate the issues of the horrific attacks on Israelis”.

“I’ve repeated this call and I hope it will be heard but so far, I haven’t received a response.”¬†

Even if access is denied, Turk said that “we will find other ways and means to talk to whoever we need to talk to”.

“Atrocious forms of sexual violence need to be thoroughly investigated, and we need to make sure that justice is served,” he said.

“That’s what we owe the victims.”

AFP
Written By

With 2,400 staff representing 100 different nationalities, AFP covers the world as a leading global news agency. AFP provides fast, comprehensive and verified coverage of the issues affecting our daily lives.

You may also like:

Life

The study started when researchers learned of reports of gastrointestinal illness in local residents after eating foreign rice.

World

Across the eastern Donetsk region of Ukraine, there is growing sense of uncertainty over how and when the war will end - Copyright AFP...

World

Sixteen-year-old Eya Makhloufi, in the centre, with music club members - Copyright AFP FETHI BELAIDFrancoise KadriThe Tunisian town of Haffouz lies in an impoverished...

World

2024 will be a year of change for the world's biggest tech companies as they bow to EU rules that come into force next...