Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Defendants at Morocco trial deny involvement in hiker killings

-

The trial of 24 men charged over the brutal murder of two Scandinavian hikers resumed Thursday in Morocco, with several defendants denying their involvement in the killings.

The three main suspects, members of a jihadist cell accused of killing the women, admitted to the murders during a hearing in May, saying they were carried out in the name of the Islamic State group.

Danish student Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, and 28-year-old Norwegian Maren Ueland had their throats slit while camping in an isolated area of the High Atlas mountains in December.

Twenty-four defendants on trial in Sale, near the capital Rabat, are facing charges including promoting terrorism, forming a terrorist cell and premeditated murder.

A former street vendor, 25-year-old Abdessamad Ejjoud, told the court at a previous hearing he beheaded one of the women.

His co-defendant Younes Ouaziyad, 27, has confessed to killing the other hiker, while a third man on trial, Rachid Afatti, said he videotaped the killings.

Several other defendants appeared in court on Thursday and denied any involvement in the murders.

"We used to pray together but we never plotted anything," Abdelkebir Akhmayej told the court.

"We discussed religion," added Noureddine Belabed, a former convict who had been sentenced to three years in prison for advocating "terrorism".

Another man, Abderrahim Khayali, confessed that he had accompanied the three main suspects to the High Atlas mountains but added that he left before the women were murdered.

In theory, the killers could face the death penalty, but Morocco has had a de facto freeze on executions since 1993.

Ejjoud -- who had previously been jailed for trying to join IS in Syria -- confessed to organising the mission to the High Atlas mountains during which the tourists were killed.

Investigators said the "cell" was inspired by IS ideology, but Morocco's anti-terror chief insisted the accused had no contact with the jihadist group in conflict zones.

IS has never claimed responsibility for the murders.

The next hearing is scheduled for June 20.

The trial of 24 men charged over the brutal murder of two Scandinavian hikers resumed Thursday in Morocco, with several defendants denying their involvement in the killings.

The three main suspects, members of a jihadist cell accused of killing the women, admitted to the murders during a hearing in May, saying they were carried out in the name of the Islamic State group.

Danish student Louisa Vesterager Jespersen, 24, and 28-year-old Norwegian Maren Ueland had their throats slit while camping in an isolated area of the High Atlas mountains in December.

Twenty-four defendants on trial in Sale, near the capital Rabat, are facing charges including promoting terrorism, forming a terrorist cell and premeditated murder.

A former street vendor, 25-year-old Abdessamad Ejjoud, told the court at a previous hearing he beheaded one of the women.

His co-defendant Younes Ouaziyad, 27, has confessed to killing the other hiker, while a third man on trial, Rachid Afatti, said he videotaped the killings.

Several other defendants appeared in court on Thursday and denied any involvement in the murders.

“We used to pray together but we never plotted anything,” Abdelkebir Akhmayej told the court.

“We discussed religion,” added Noureddine Belabed, a former convict who had been sentenced to three years in prison for advocating “terrorism”.

Another man, Abderrahim Khayali, confessed that he had accompanied the three main suspects to the High Atlas mountains but added that he left before the women were murdered.

In theory, the killers could face the death penalty, but Morocco has had a de facto freeze on executions since 1993.

Ejjoud — who had previously been jailed for trying to join IS in Syria — confessed to organising the mission to the High Atlas mountains during which the tourists were killed.

Investigators said the “cell” was inspired by IS ideology, but Morocco’s anti-terror chief insisted the accused had no contact with the jihadist group in conflict zones.

IS has never claimed responsibility for the murders.

The next hearing is scheduled for June 20.

AFP
Written By

With 2,400 staff representing 100 different nationalities, AFP covers the world as a leading global news agency. AFP provides fast, comprehensive and verified coverage of the issues affecting our daily lives.

You may also like:

Tech & Science

Most hearing loss is the result of those tiny hair cells in the cochlea being damaged over time. Not all hearing loss is the...

World

Yemen's Huthi rebels, who claimed a deadly strike far from their borders inside Israel early Friday, have built up a significant drone arsenal. 

Entertainment

German producer and songwriter Toby Gad chatted about his new album "Piano Diaries — The Hits," which was released today.

Business

A data center: Network cables plugged into a server. — © Michael Bocchieri/AFP/Getty ImagesMarie-Morgane LE MOEL, Avec les bureaux de l'AFPA massive IT blackout...