Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Brazil mobilizes 157,000 security force for World Cup

-

Brazil said Friday it is mobilizing 157,000 soldiers and police to ensure security during the World Cup, which opens in 20 days against a backdrop of violent protests and strikes.

The defense ministry said it would provide 57,000 navy, army and air force personnel for the event, including 21,000 who will be on a state of alert for situations requiring immediate intervention.

The ministry has invested 709 million reais ($322 million) since 2012 in modernizing its forces and preparing them for the tournament, which runs from June 12 to July 13.

Justice Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo said he did not believe the recent string of demonstrations and strikes across Brazil would escalate to the level of protests that gripped the country last year during the Confederations Cup, a World Cup dress rehearsal.

Those protests drew a million people into the street and turned violent at times, embarrassing the tournament's organizers.

"Our feeling is that (the protests) will be smaller than the ones last June. But, sincerely speaking, we are prepared for any situation," Cardozo told journalists at a joint press conference with Defense Minister Celso Amorim.

The protesters are angry over the more than $11 billion being spent to host the World Cup in a country with glaring inequality and pressing needs in education, health care, housing and transport.

A Brazilian civil policeman holds a national flag during a protest at the Ministry Esplanade during ...
A Brazilian civil policeman holds a national flag during a protest at the Ministry Esplanade during a one-day strike in Brasilia, Brazil on May 21, 2014
Evaristo Sa, AFP

The security forces will be spread among the 12 host cities and state capitals Vitoria, Aracaju and Maceio, which will all have base camps for teams playing in the tournament.

The military will also work with police to secure the enormous South American country's 16,800 kilometers (10,400 miles) of borders.

The anti-World Cup protests have shrunk in numbers since last year, but have also grown more radical.

As the tournament approaches, a series of police strikes -- plus the threat of a nationwide strike by federal police -- have also raised concerns about security in a country with one of the world's worst crime rates.

Around three million Brazilians and 600,000 foreign tourists are expected to attend the World Cup.

Brazil said Friday it is mobilizing 157,000 soldiers and police to ensure security during the World Cup, which opens in 20 days against a backdrop of violent protests and strikes.

The defense ministry said it would provide 57,000 navy, army and air force personnel for the event, including 21,000 who will be on a state of alert for situations requiring immediate intervention.

The ministry has invested 709 million reais ($322 million) since 2012 in modernizing its forces and preparing them for the tournament, which runs from June 12 to July 13.

Justice Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo said he did not believe the recent string of demonstrations and strikes across Brazil would escalate to the level of protests that gripped the country last year during the Confederations Cup, a World Cup dress rehearsal.

Those protests drew a million people into the street and turned violent at times, embarrassing the tournament’s organizers.

“Our feeling is that (the protests) will be smaller than the ones last June. But, sincerely speaking, we are prepared for any situation,” Cardozo told journalists at a joint press conference with Defense Minister Celso Amorim.

The protesters are angry over the more than $11 billion being spent to host the World Cup in a country with glaring inequality and pressing needs in education, health care, housing and transport.

A Brazilian civil policeman holds a national flag during a protest at the Ministry Esplanade during ...

A Brazilian civil policeman holds a national flag during a protest at the Ministry Esplanade during a one-day strike in Brasilia, Brazil on May 21, 2014
Evaristo Sa, AFP

The security forces will be spread among the 12 host cities and state capitals Vitoria, Aracaju and Maceio, which will all have base camps for teams playing in the tournament.

The military will also work with police to secure the enormous South American country’s 16,800 kilometers (10,400 miles) of borders.

The anti-World Cup protests have shrunk in numbers since last year, but have also grown more radical.

As the tournament approaches, a series of police strikes — plus the threat of a nationwide strike by federal police — have also raised concerns about security in a country with one of the world’s worst crime rates.

Around three million Brazilians and 600,000 foreign tourists are expected to attend the World Cup.

AFP
Written By

With 2,400 staff representing 100 different nationalities, AFP covers the world as a leading global news agency. AFP provides fast, comprehensive and verified coverage of the issues affecting our daily lives.

You may also like:

Business

The cautious mood came after another tech-led rally on Wall Street, where the Nasdaq and S&P 500 hit fresh record highs overnight.

Entertainment

"The rich and famous burning through scarce fuel to get to a film festival isn't just tone deaf, it's obscene," said former Air France...

Business

German Chancellor Friedrich Merz urged the European Union to reform its budget to include more investments and reduce subsidies.

World

The appointment of a woman to the UN's top job is a question of "historical justice" according to Maria Fernanda Espinosa.