Opinions expressed by Digital Journal contributors are their own.
VPN Unlimited has steadily marked its territory in the ever-competitive realm of virtual private networks. Promising secure, unrestricted online experiences, it comes decked out with a suite of features intended to enhance user anonymity and bolster internet security. But does it truly stand out in a market teeming with countless contenders all claiming supremacy? In this review, I will delve deep into the nuances of VPN Unlimited, scrutinizing its performance, user interface, security protocols, and more, to determine whether it lives up to its name and the expectations of the modern user. Join me as I unpack the capabilities of this VPN service.
VPN Unlimited, a product of KeepSolid, is a well-regarded VPN service known for its security and diverse feature set. With over 3,000 servers in more than 80 locations, users have a plethora of options to choose from when deciding where to route their traffic.
The service boasts an extensive range of platform compatibility, offering downloads for Mac, iOS, Android, Windows, Windows Phone and Linux. Additionally, it provides browser extensions for Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Edge, along with setup guides for routers, Apple TV, Kodi, and beyond.
PRIVACY AND SECURITY
Similar to other industry players, VPN Unlimited employs AES 256-bit encryption. This encryption standard is adopted by banks and military entities globally due to its robustness.
Another crucial aspect of any VPN service is its logging policy. VPN Unlimited prides itself on a zero-log policy, ensuring that none of your online activities are stored or shared. This encompasses aspects such as browsing history, connection durations, metadata, downloads, server interactions, or any content from your session.
The importance of this cannot be overstated. When a VPN does not keep logs, it ensures user anonymity, privacy, and security, eliminating potential risks from hackers or even legal requests for data.
PROTOCOLS OFFERED BY VPN UNLIMITED
VPN Unlimited offers a number of protocols to choose from. By default, it automatically chooses the best protocol for your network.
Here is a brief overview of each of the protocols:
- TLS (Transport Layer Security): An evolution of SSL (Secure Socket Layer), it’s primarily used to secure web browsers and other end-to-end communication.
- L2TP/IPSec (Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol with Internet Protocol Security): Combines L2TP, a tunneling protocol, with IPSec for encryption, resulting in a secure and reliable VPN connection.
- KeepSolid Wise: A proprietary protocol from VPN Unlimited. It’s designed to disguise VPN traffic as regular HTTPS traffic, making it an excellent choice for users in countries with strict censorship laws.
- IKEv2 (Internet Key Exchange version 2): Known for its speed and stability, especially when switching between networks (e.g., from WiFi to mobile data).
- OpenVPN: An open-source protocol, it’s widely considered one of the most secure and versatile VPN protocols available, balancing speed with security.
- WireGuard: A newer protocol known for its simplicity, high performance, and modern cryptographic design.
Split tunneling lets you decide which apps will use the VPN connection and which will access the internet directly. Furthermore, this ensures you don’t compromise your connection speed when you want to stream content from your regional Netflix collection. However, it’s worth noting that split tunneling on VPN Unlimited is currently exclusive to Android.
TRUSTED NETWORKS FEATURE
Often, users activate a VPN mainly when linked to public Wi-Fi. This function lets you designate your home network as trusted. Consequently, the VPN will auto-deactivate when you return home.
VPN Unlimited incorporates a kill switch in its apps for Windows, iOS, macOS, and Android (version 8.0 Oreo and above). Should the VPN falter, this kill switch interrupts your internet connection, ensuring your IP remains concealed and warding off potential threats.
UNBLOCKING STREAMING SERVICES
VPN Unlimited, like many other VPN services, can unblock streaming services by routing your internet traffic through servers located in regions where the content is accessible. Some of the streaming platforms I was able to unblock with VPN Unlimited included:
- Amazon Prime Video
It’s essential to note that while VPN Unlimited might unblock these platforms from many locations, it’s not always guaranteed. Specific servers might be more effective than others. Streaming services are in a constant tug-of-war with VPN providers. As services block known VPN IP addresses, VPN providers attempt to add new ones to bypass these restrictions.
VPN Unlimited provides live chat, round-the-clock email support, and an extensive knowledge base on their website. I tested their email support and received a response to my query in just 15 minutes, which was impressive.
For users looking to enhance their online security, VPN Unlimited offers a comprehensive package called MonoDefense, which I reviewed previously. This online security suite combines VPN Unlimited with other essential tools:
- KeepSolid DNS Firewall for malicious domain blocking;
- Passwarden for secure password management;
- KeepSolid SmartDNS, a tool that lets you access geo-blocked content without encrypting your data;
- KeepSolid Authenticator, to secure your account with 2FA
The integration of these tools in one package provides users with a multifaceted approach to online security and convenience.
In conclusion, VPN Unlimited provides a comprehensive solution for those seeking online privacy, security, and freedom. With its extensive list of features, zero log policy, and diverse protocol options, it caters to a wide range of user needs. The option to buy it as part of the MonoDefense package further elevates its position as a top-tier VPN service.