Board games for kids are getting increasingly popular in parents and kids. Some believe that family board games can bring numerous benefits. But some argue that its function is being magnified.
Board game companies usually recommend parents to choose board games for kids and family board games, because they consider board games make kids smarter. But is this true? There’s no definitive answer, as it depends on the player, the games, and what smarter actually means.
What is a board game?
A board game is a game played across a board or a platform by two or more players, and players can interact and communicate directly with each other. So it becomes an entertainment option for family entertainment, friends gathering and making friends.
Nowadays, different types and categories of board games are available on the market. Branded board games that are based on strategy and logic are the most popular. The game of chess is considered to be the best example. In addition to abstract games, board games also include thematic games with story background and role-playing, strategy games that require certain skills, party games that are suitable for face-to-face communication and party, family games that are appropriate and entertaining for all ages in family, and children’s games that are designed for kids and are beneficial to intellectual development.
Reasons for recommending board games for kids
Board game manufacturers find that an increasing number of parents begin to pay attention to board games for kids, but many of them consider board games to be same with ordinary toys, which only act as “playmates” when children don’t know what to do. Some even worry about how to clearly explain the difficult ways to kids, or don’t want to spend much time playing with kids if buying board games. In fact, you will find all your worries are unnecessary after playing them.What are the benefits of playing board games for kids? The benefits are far-reaching, and here are a few of the many benefits.
1. Unplugged and face to face: Playing branded board games for kids prevents children putting much energy into the mobile phone, computer or iPad, enables them to get along with family and friends directly, helps you meet new people, and strengthens parent-child relationships and improves interpersonal communication.
2. Board games can be played anywhere at any time. According to the design by board game companies, board games can be played on a board or a plane. There are no restrictions, no pressure! It often costs few time, 5-15 minutes per round for board games for kids. So children can play them fragmented time at odd moments. Designed with flexible number of players, 1 player or 2-4 players can play many games for kids. The rules of board games are also simple, so children can read and understand the rules themselves.
3. Efficient companionship: Being totally involved for half an hour works better than a full day of ineffective accompaniment. The biggest difference between board games for kids and other ordinary toys including building blocks and car toys is that adults will not feel bored and even forget phones and hot TV series.
4. Kids learn from board games that it’s important to abide by the game rules and value teamwork, and develop their social competence, almost without noticing, said most of the board game manufacturers. In addition, most children’s board games can improve kids’ essential cognitive skills, such as decision making, logical, critical and strategic thinking, and problem-solving. Kids can not only play board games as an entertainment and leisure, but also trigger learning. With children’s cognitive skills improved when playing board games, parents can feel their learning journey, stimulate curiosity with enthusiasm, and explore every possible solutions with children.
Given so many benefits of branded board games, do they really make kids smarter?
Despite numerous foreign studies show that playing board games improve skills that children need for academic success, there is still no definitive answer. If fact, playing board games can certainly develop good thinking habits, which could lead to people becoming smarter. Children who enjoy playing board games are usually willing to think, solve problems, and complete challenging tasks. They are eager to try everything new and can easily adapt to the game rules. Good thinking habits can guide kids to develop cognitive skills and promote them to cultivate excellent learning habits and styles. Some genius children may even not want to learn new things, so board game companies would suggest children to become more open-minded to new things and explore, venture and solve every problems.
Board games help develop various capabilities, but the most fundamental role they play is entertainment. When playing board games, children enjoy much fun and feel happy. If they can accidentally improve thinking skills, communication skills, team awareness, strategic ability, and other valuable life skills, it is really helpful for children instead of being addicted to iPad cartoons or video games. This does not mean iPad, cartoons and electronic video games are devoid of any merit.
How to choose the right board games for your children?
Some parents prefer board games that can develop communication skills for their bashful children, while some want their impatient children to play board games calling for perseverance. Board game manufacturers offer several practicable tips for parents to select the board games for kids.
1. Know kids’ interests first. Ask yourself these questions: What kinds of things do they love to do? What kinds of games do they enjoy playing? Once you know their interests, you can start looking for the perfect game that caters to them.
2. Consider different age groups. Board games are typically designed for kids of a certain age group and may not be appropriate for children outside of that age group. Be sure to read the instructions on the board games carefully.
3. Clarify the potential functions of board games. Board games can help teach kids important skills such as counting, sorting and strategy. Choose a game that will realize the functions you expect.