Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMan tries to shoot and burn down Google HQ for 'watching him'

By Karen Graham     Jul 6, 2016 in Crime
Mountain View - A Northern California man is facing federal charges related to three late-night attacks on Google's Silicon Valley headquarters in Mountain View, Calif.
Raul Murillo Diaz, 30, allegedly fired a gun at the Google building, putting holes in five windows, and threw Molotov cocktails that in one episode, set fire to a Google Street View car.
Other than the one self-driving car being destroyed, no one was hurt in the three incidents that took place in May and June this year, according to CTV News.
So far, Diaz is facing a federal charge of malicious damage to a building or vehicle in the first attack that occurred on May 19. An employee called police after seeing a man throw a beer bottle at one of the Google View cars and then stand there watching the area burst into flames.
Police recovered glass fragments from two Blue Moon beer bottles at the scene. Charges for the two later incidents are still pending, reports Fortune.
The second incident occurred on June 4 around 11:30 p.m. Two witnesses reportedly heard gunshots about half a mile away in the vicinity of where the fire broke out. Police responded, finding five bullet holes in Google's building.
Federal authorities say a surveillance video showed the same SUV that had been seen in the first incident. Authorities believe a 22-caliber handgun had been used in the June 4 attack.
Police were again called to the scene about 2:00 a.m. on June 10 when a Google self-driving can was destroyed by fire. Security videos showed a Hispanic man with what appeared to be a squirt gun with a long tube approach the Google car, then there was a bright burst of flame. The same SUV was also in the security video.
Last week, on June 30, a little after midnight, Mountain View police pulled over a 2004 Volkswagen Touareg being driven on the Google campus. Diaz was the driver. Arresting officers could plainly see a gun case and after a federal warrant was obtained, the case was said to contain a pipe-bomb, reports the Daily Mail.
According to an affidavit, Diaz said he is responsible for all three attacks and was planning another attack at the time he was stopped by police and arrested. "Diaz told officers that his motivation behind the attacks was that he felt Google was watching him and that made him upset," the affidavit stated.
Diaz made a brief appearance in court on Friday but did not enter a plea. Public defender, Varrel Fuller is handling the case for Diaz.
More about google headquarters, molotov cocktails, shooting at the building, Federal charges, watching him
More news from
Latest News
Top News