Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageOp-Ed: Mayweather may go for 50-0 if he wins on Sept. 12

By Leo Reyes     Jun 9, 2015 in Sports
On Sept.12, 2015, Floyd Mayweather will try to accomplish two significant milestones in his boxing career. But first, he has to win against his opponent (TBA) to meet his ultimate goal of breaking a historic record.
First, a win by Mayweather on Sept. 12 will duplicate the career record of legendary American boxer Rocky Marciano, who retired undefeated at 49-0. Secondly, he will finish his $200 million six-fight contract with CBS/Showtime without a single loss.
But Mayweather has always been concerned about his legacy and wealth. While he has amassed a fortune in his 20-year pro career, he has yet to cement his legacy as best fighter on the planet consistent with his TBE (The Best Ever) moniker.
Surpassing Marciano's career record would be a huge and enticing challenge for Mayweather as it would only take one last winning fight before hanging his gloves and making history.
Will Mayweather go for 50-0 after breaking Marciano's career record? Most likely he will.
“If the price is right for No. 50, it’s possible. We can’t say what the future is," said Mayweather before facing Marcos Maidana last year.
Mayweather has repeatedly said that his Sept. 12 fight will be his last. But sometimes he contradicts himself like picking an opponent and changing his mind afterwards.
The lure of a historic 50-0 bout would be too much for Mayweather to resist. Aside from another huge financial windfall that the fight will bring, Mayweather will be making history as the first ever to retire with an unblemished career record of 50-0.
Meanwhile, Mayweather mentioned Amir Khan and Juan Manuel Marquez as his next possible opponents but his decision is yet to be announced.
Khan, who is fresh off his unanimous decision win over Chris Algieri last May 29 in Brooklyn, New York, said his fight with Mayweather is getting closer than ever.
"I don't think I have ever been closer to getting the fight with Floyd Mayweather than I am at this moment. The indications are that I have strengthened my case with my win over Algieri and I believe there is every chance the fight could be confirmed within the next two weeks," Khan said.
Marquez, on the other hand, has welcomed the reported Mayweather's intention to face him in a rematch but he said that they should agree first on certain conditions before he makes his decision.
This opinion article was written by an independent writer. The opinions and views expressed herein are those of the author and are not necessarily intended to reflect those of DigitalJournal.com
More about Floyd mayweather, Manny Pacquiao, Boxing, Retirement, ROCKY MARCIANO
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News