Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageNietes-Rodriguez fight set for July 4 reset to July 11

By Leo Reyes     Jun 16, 2015 in Sports
WBO light flyweight champion Donnie Nietes will have to wait at least one week to defend his title against challenger Francisco Rodriguez, who was injured during his training for the title fight which was originally set for July 4.
Rodriguez's camp asked for a one week postponement to July 11 at the Waterfront Hotel & Casino in Cebu City, Philippines.
Nietes's trainer Edmund Villamor did not object to the postponement. “Training is continuing and there’s no problem with the one week postponement,” Villamor said.
Nietes ((35-1-4, 21 KOs), who is the longest-reigning Filipino world champion, is unbeaten in his last 27 fights since his lone loss to Anky Ankkota in 2004 via a split decision in Jakarta.
The 32-year-old light flyweight champion from Murcia, Negros Occidental, Philippines, is coming off a referee technical decision (RTD) win against Gilberto Parra last March at the Smart Araneta Coliseum in Quezon City, Philippines.
Nietes's ring skill and experience will be tested against a young aggressor who is eager to snatch his title, but he is confident he will defend his title for the seventh time against Rodriguez.
"He is a good opponent and should not be overlooked," Nietes said.
Rodriguez (17-2-1, 11 KOs), who hails from Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico has won four straight fights since losing to Roman Gonzales in 2013.
Rodriguez's last two fights were against a Filipino opponent. In November last year, he fought Jomar Fajardo at the Waterfront Hotel & Casino with the fight ending in a draw. In a rematch held in Mexico last January, Rodriguez outpointed Fajardo in a unanimous decision win.
The 21-year-old Mexican challenger will facing his third Filipino opponent ln his career when he collides with Nietes on July 11 in the Philippines.
More about Boxing, donnie nietes, Francisco rodriguez
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News