Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageManny Pacquiao to fight only when congress is in recess

By Leo Reyes     Jul 12, 2016 in Sports
Senator and boxing superstar Manny Pacquiao has denied reports that he is seeking permission from the Philippine senate leadership to allow him to take a leave of absence from his duties in order to train for his planned fight.
https://www.facebook.com/PacquiaoForSenatorMovement/videos/1777449912541775/
Earlier in the week Pacquiao's longtime promoter Bob Arum had stated that the eight-division world champion is set to return to the ring but he could not tell exactly when he is fighting again.
"He is going to fight. I don't know what the date is. He is working with the President of the Philippines senate for an appropriate date where he can leave the Philippines for two or three weeks to prepare for the fight,” the veteran promoter told Boxing Scene.
But in a press statement posted on Wednesday morning, Pacquiao denied he is seeking permission from the senate leadership to allow him to take a leave of absence to train for his next fight.
"There is no truth to media reports that I'm planning to take a leave from my senate duties just to fight again atop the ring. I want to make it clear - my priority is my legislative works. My next fight has not been discussed. Should there be any, I'll make sure it will not interfere with my senate duties," Pacquiao said.
"If ever I decide to fight again, rest assured, it will happen when congress is on recess so there's no need for me to go on leave. The entire training will be done in the Philippines to ensure I can attend sessions even while on training camp," he added.
Pacquiao also justified his impending return saying that boxing is his source of livelihood to support his family and to help those who are in need.
More about Boxing, Manny Pacquiao, Bob arum
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News