Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDonaire's tormentor Nicholas Walters faces Jason Sosa Saturday

By Leo Reyes     Dec 14, 2015 in Sports
Nicholas Walters, the Jamaican boxer who gave Filipino-American boxing star Nonito Donaire his third career loss, will be back in action against American challenger Jason Sosa Saturday night at the Turning Stone Resort & Casino in Verona, New York.
Walters (26-0-0, 21 KOs), who is unbeaten in 26 pro fights, will be going up against Sosa in a 10-round non-title fight in preparation for another title shot in 2016. Walters was stripped of his WBA featherweight title when he failed to make the 126 weight limit in the scales against challenger Miguel Marriaga last June.
While Walters beat Marriaga by a unanimous decision, he failed to preserve his title which still remains vacant and up for grabs.
Walter's popularity soared when he knocked out Donaire in the sixth round of their title fight at the StubHub Center last year in Carson, California.
Walters is known for his punching power which was evident in his victory over Donaire as well as his ring generalship and mobility in the ring.
"I am training hard in Panama. I know how important this fight is and I will be in optimum physical condition," said Walters. "My team has been studying video of my opponent Sosa. I cannot wait to leave Panama, get into Verona, New York and get inside the ring. Boxing is my passion."
For his part, Sosa (18-1-3, 14 KOs) knows Walters is a strong fighter but said he is up for the challenge come fight night.
"I have a great team and they are getting me in the best shape of my life and making sure that I am mentally and physically ready to come away with the win. I am sure we are both ready for war and fans are not going to want to miss this," Sosa said.
While Walters is favored to win on Saturday as he has the advantage both in height and reach, Sosa is determined to preserve his 14-fight winning record since his lone career loss to Treysean Wiggins in 2010.
Top Rank's Carl Moretti believes the fight could be a potential "Fight of the Year" candidate along with the Donaire-Juarez fight.
"I believe this will be the final Fight of the Year candidate for 2015," said Carl Moretti, Vice President of Top Rank. "The making of this fight is the product of the right decision made at the right time by all the right people."
More about nicholas walters, Nonito donaire, Boxing, jason sosa
More news from
Sports Video
Latest News
Top News