http://www.digitaljournal.com/business/ontario-tesla-owners-to-be-included-in-rebate-program/article/530887

Ontario Tesla owners to be included in rebate program

Posted Sep 1, 2018 by Karen Graham
Tesla buyers in Ontario will be getting their $14,000 rebates after Doug Ford's Progressive Conservative government lost in court against the California-based electric car company.
Ontario Premier Doug Ford
Ontario Premier Doug Ford
Doug Ford
The change of heart by the Progressive Conservative government of Ontario is due to the decision handed down on Tuesday by the Ontario Superior Court that ruled the Tories “unlawfully targeted” the automaker when they announced the phasing out of subsidies on electric vehicles last month.
Ontario Transportation Minister John Yakabuski says the province will not appeal the decision delivered last week. "I have directed the ministry to expand the wind-down process," he said in a statement on Friday. He added that with the expansion of the program, certain conditions will have to be met.
“Incentives will be provided as long as the following conditions are met: eligible vehicles were delivered, registered, and plated on or before July 11 or ... were on dealer lots in Ontario — or on order by dealers or by customers directly from manufacturers on or before July 11, and delivered to customers, registered and plated on or before Sept. 10,” he said.
Superior Court Judge Frederick Myers ruled that Tesla's exclusion from a grace period that ended September 10, for the program was arbitrary and had singled out Tesla for harm, reports the Huffington Post.
Doug Ford shot himself in the foot
As the Toronto Star is quick to note, Doug Ford didn't help the province's case with his own comments on the case.
“The common folks here in Hamilton have a big problem giving rebates of up to $16,000 with our hard-earned money to millionaires buying $80,000, $100,000 cars. We have an issue with that and we want to protect the little person,” the premier said earlier this month.
“Tesla can do what they want, but maybe they should think of coming here and opening up a manufacturing facility like the big five are,” he said in remarks quoted by Myers in his ruling.
“I have a message for Tesla: stop trying to get rebates for your millionaire buddies and putting it on the backs of the hardworking people of ... Ontario.”
Province ends the cap-and-trade program
After Progressive Conservative Doug Ford became Premier of Ontario, the Province canceled the cap and trade program as part of its commitment to bring gas prices down by 10 cents a liter and help reduce costs for Ontario families and businesses by $1.9 billion dollars per year.
And because the Electric and Hydrogen Vehicle Incentive Program and the Electric Vehicle Charging Incentive Programs are funded through cap-and-trade proceeds, these programs are canceled. But the provincial government added the wind -down program would only cover vehicles purchased from a dealer, and not those vehicles purchased directly from the manufacturer, like Tesla.