Watch deputy shoot and kill 17-year-old who pointed gun at him

Posted Jul 28, 2016 by Arthur Weinreb
The Sheriff of Jefferson Parrish, Louisiana called a deputy "one of the luckiest men in America" after a 17-year-old fired a gun at him. The loaded gun malfunctioned and the deputy shot and killed the teen.
Just before midnight Tuesday, deputies in Metairie, a suburb of New Orleans, responded to a call regarding suspicious activity. The Sheriff's Office was told two men were seen rolling shiny objects down the street.
When deputies arrived they spotted two men jumping the fence of a new vehicle storage lot. Deputies searched the area and Deputy David Dalton saw one of the men enter the warehouse of the Times-Picayune building. Dalton went into the warehouse after him.
Surveillance video in the building has been released. It shows a man, later identified as 17-year-old Devon Martes, moving through the building. The deputy is then seen entering the same way the 17-year-old did and Martes was standing to the officer's left. Martes can be seen raising a gun and pointing it at the officer. The officer then fires six shots at the teen.
Martes was pronounced dead at the scene. Deputies later found a new Ford pickup truck that was up on blocks in the car lot that had two wheels and rims missing.
At a press conference yesterday, Sheriff Newell Normand said what took place was like " the shootout at the O.K. Corral." Martes had a 9 mm handgun with more than 20 rounds in the magazine and according to Normand, Martes fired the gun but it did not go off. He said, "But for the fact the gun malfunctioned, I might have a dead officer. He [Martes] was going to act out as a cold-blooded killer."
WDSU reports while Martes' parents have concerns about the fact their son was shot six times, they do not blame the deputy for shooting him. The 17-year-old had a criminal record that began at the age of 10 and included convictions for attempted armed robbery and distributing drugs. Alesia Martes, who says her son was home with her until shortly before he was found in the warehouse, said her son put himself in harm's way. Martes' father, Glen Parker, was even more direct.
Parker said his son was in the wrong and he does not blame the deputy for shooting because his life was in danger. Sheriff Normand said he appreciated what the father said, saying it must have been difficult for someone who has just lost a son.
The second suspect has yet to be apprehended.