http://www.digitaljournal.com/sports/victor-ortiz-aims-to-duplicate-win-over-andre-berto-in-rematch/article/464107

Victor Ortiz aims to duplicate win over Andre Berto in rematch

Posted Apr 29, 2016 by Leo Reyes
Former WBC welterweight champion Victor Ortiz is aiming to duplicate his first victory over Andre Berto as they collide on April 30 at the StubHub Center in Carson, Calif., in a 12-round, nontitle fight.
Actor-boxer Victor Ortiz
Actor-boxer Victor Ortiz
wikipedia
On Sept. 17, 2011, Berto lost his WBC welterweight title to Ortiz in a highly-acclaimed fight that was later named "Fight of the Year" by the prestigious Ring Magazine.
While Ortiz won the fight by unanimous decision, both fighters fought gallantly and had their share of two knockdowns each. Since the fight was entertaining and competitive, there was a public clamor for a rematch which was later set for Feb. 11, 2012, but moved to June 30, 2012, due to injury.
In May 2012, Berto failed an anti-doping test and the rematch never happened until five years later on April 30 when they finally collide for the second time.
Ortiz caught public attention when he fought Floyd Mayweather, Jr., in 2011. The fight had a bizarre ending when Mayweather surprised Ortiz with a right-left combination while Ortiz was waiting for referee's signal to resume the fight.
A few minutes before the end of the fourth round, Ortiz approached Mayweather to offer his apology for the intentional foul he committed earlier in the round -- which the undefeated boxer seemed to have accepted -- but, while waiting for a signal from the referee, Mayweather first threw a powerful left hook that shook Ortiz and followed it up with a power punch that sent Ortiz to the canvas, where he was counted out by referee Cortes.
Mayweather has been criticized for unsportsmanlike behavior but he said in an interview after the fight that what he did was legal, citng a established boxing rule “to protect yourself at all times."
"We touched gloves and we were back to fighting and then I threw the left and right hand after the break," Mayweather said. "In the ring, you have to protect yourself at all times."
After his TKO loss to Mayweather, the 29-year-old Kansas City native has lost two more fights via TKO (against Josesito Lopez and Marcos Maidana) but later in December 2014, he came back to win via TKO against Manuel Perez in December 2014 followed by another TKO win over Gilberto Sanchez Leon last year.
Ortiz is confident he will win against Berto for the second time, saying he has put at least 14 weeks of training leading up to this weekend fight.
“I put a total of 14 weeks of work into this fight. Nothing easy about that work. Come the 30th, I’m going to prove why I beat Berto the first time,” he said.
“I know what I’m here to do. I’ve got my fire back. People claim that I don’t have the fire, but you’ll see on April 30," he added.
Former WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto
Former WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto
wikipedia
For his part, Berto said Ortiz will be facing a different Andre Berto—not the same guy he fought in 2011—when they face each other Saturday night.
“It’s been five years coming and now we’re here,” said Berto. “The stuff Victor said on the stage and his body language, I believe he knows he is going to be in there with a different type of animal this time. I think he is already defeated. He sees how focused I am. If he has been hearing anything from camp, he knows I’m ready to go. He didn’t believe anything he said on the stage. Looking at him face to face, he was trying to tell jokes. I think that he knows that he is going to be in there with a different Andre Berto,” he added.