UK streaming platform Audioboom hit 1M app downloads in Q2

Posted Jun 20, 2015 by Alessandra Miguel-Descalso
British streaming service Audioboom, the only social media site on the LSE, gained over 1 million app downloads during the second quarter.
Famous actor and comedian Russell Brand hosts a podcast on the streaming site Audioboom.
Famous actor and comedian Russell Brand hosts a podcast on the streaming site Audioboom.
By Eva Rinaldi from Sydney Australia (Russell Brand Arthur Premier Uploaded by Kafuffle) [CC BY-SA
London-based digital audio social media site Audioboom announced it has reached over 1 million app downloads during the period between March and May, according to the company's statement.
The platform — which hosts talk content from the likes of BBC, Telegraph, Guardian, CBS, Sky Sports, Premier League, Southern Cross Austereo, Reuters, CNBC, Universal and Fox, according to its website — had over 550,000 app installs in the month of May alone, bringing its total downloads to 1,275,000 during the quarter.
Audioboom added that Android devices accounted for 60 percent of the app installs, while iOS accounted for the remaining 40 percent.
The company also revealed that it now has over 3,000 active content partners, thanks to the 650 new broadcasters that signed up for its services during the same period.
"Together with strong performance in March and April, the quarter was comfortably our best to date. With our current rate of growth we are on track to meet or exceed the full year expectations for all these performance measures," noted Audioboom's chief executive in the release.
The company's registered users were also up to 4 million by the end of May. 600,000 listeners signed up for accounts on the streaming site within the said month, according to the company's data.
The company's efforts to revamp its streaming site and release its platform in iOS and Android iterations seem to be bearing fruit. Gartner's research revealed that iOS and Android app stores are expected to "account for 90 percent of global downloads in 2017."
Also back in April, the company integrated the iOS and Android versions of its mobile applications with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto. A report by Alliance News via London South East revealed the app integration will allow Audioboom users to listen to on-demand content on the platform from their cars.
The move came following its partnership with Panasonic-owned Aupeo in March. According to RAIN News, Aupeo will be bringing content from Audioboom's streaming platform to in-car digital dashboards via its Personal Radio by AUPEO! product. The service is offered in 60 countries and reaches over five million cars worldwide.
Audioboom's audience numbers also shoot up following the company's content deal with famous actor and comedian Russell Brand in February, CityAM reported. The company's registered users soared in March with 200,000 new accounts on the platform, bringing its total to 3.6 million.
Audioboom also teamed up with 150 new broadcasters the following month that include BBC Radio’s Six O’Clock News and the Wimbledon Tennis Championships, said the news outlet.
Among the new channels on the streaming site are Undisclosed: The State Vs Adnan Syed, Baseball America, SNY.TV (New York Giants, New York Jets, New York Mets), ARU (Australian Rugby Union), Epsom racecourse, 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup, BBC Hindi, MCM Comic Con and the Bob Harris Legend Series, the company's release stated.
Audioboom is the only social media site on the London Stock Exchange (ticker symbol: BOOM). The company's stocks closed at 6.88p on Friday.