Ferguson cop who shot Michael Brown is leaving police work

Posted Nov 29, 2014 by Marcus Hondro
Darren Wilson, the white policeman who shot and killed unarmed black teen Michael Brown on Aug. 9, has resigned from the Ferguson police force. The announcement came today from one of his attorneys, Neil Bruntrager.
A photo released November 24  2014 by the office of  St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert Mc...
A photo released November 24, 2014 by the office of St. Louis County Prosecuting Attorney Robert McCullough shows police officer Darren Wilson shortly after he fatally shot black teenager Michael Brown
, St. Louis County Prosecutor/AFP/File
More details on the resignation are expected to come either tonight or tomorrow. Wilson, 28, has been on paid administrative leave since Mr. Brown was shot. Last week the grand jury examining the case decided not to press charges against Wilson.
It is unknown where he has been living in the past few months. It has been reported that he and his family have not been staying in one place. He has spoken to ABC News since the grand jury decision, saying in that interview that he had no choice but to shoot Brown.
He declined to issue an apology because he felt it would not help the family and last week his attorney commented on that. “Taking a life is a horrible thing to have to do,” Bruntrager said. “And yet, the key phrase is, ‘to have to do.’ Because that is what he thinks. Is that going to make the Browns feel any less grief?”
Here is Mr. Wilson's resignation:
"I, Darren Wilson, hereby resign my commission as a police officer with the City of Ferguson effective immediately. I have been told that my continued employment may put the residents and police officers of the City of Ferguson at risk, which is a circumstance that I cannot allow. For obvious reasons, I wanted to wait until the grand jury made their decision before I officially made my decision to resign.
"It was my hope to continue in police work, but the safety of other police officers and the community are of paramount importance to me. It is my hope that my resignation will allow the community to heal. I would like to thank all of my supporters and fellow officers throughout this process."
There is a fund called the Shield of Hope that raised funds for Wilson. Jeff Roorda, the business manager for the St. Louis Police Officers' Association, told media last week that it had raised nearly half-a-million dollars for him.
The money is to help pay legal, medical and relocation expenses, Mr. Roorda said.