http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/360961

Music producer sues Jackson estate for millions of dollars

Posted Oct 26, 2013 by Andrew John
The estate of the late Michael Jackson is being sued for millions of dollars by the US music producer Quincy Jones, who claims the estate improperly re-edited songs.
Quincy Jones
Quincy Jones
Creative Commons
Jones produced some of Michael Jackson’s most successful recordings, and co-produced (with Jackson) Thriller (1982) and Off the Wall (1979).
After he worked with Jackson on Off the Wall, the album’s phenomenal success made him, at that time, one of the most powerful producers in the music industry.
Thriller, too, had soon become the highest-selling album of all time.
Quincy Jones also worked on Michael Jackson’s 1987 album Bad.
The 80-year-old — who is also a TV producer, trumpeter, arranger, composer and conductor — has been in the entertainment industry for around 60 years.
Earlier this year, Jones — along with the rock bands Heart and Rush — were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Jones says the singer’s estate and Sony Music Entertainment improperly re-edited songs “to deprive him of royalties and production fees,” according to the BBC.
“Mr Jones says they also broke an agreement giving him the right to remix master recordings for albums released after Jackson’s death in 2009.”
A statement from the Jackson estate says it is saddened by the lawsuit: “To the best of its knowledge, Mr Jones has been appropriately compensated over approximately 35 years for his work with Michael.”
Jones is seeking at least $10 million (about $6 million) from Sony and the Jackson estate.