Costa Concordia delayed, now won't move until the Spring of 2014

Posted Jun 29, 2013 by Marcus Hondro
The raising and towing to a port of the Costa Concordia is something inhabitants of the island of Giglio in the Tuscan Bay want to see done as soon as possible. However, it's islanders who have put another delay on when the job will be completed by.
The Costa Concordia hit a reef  and a massive rock  on Jan. 13  2012.
The Costa Concordia hit a reef, and a massive rock, on Jan. 13, 2012.
Bo de Visser / Courtesy Prorama Films
That's because they would like to have their summer tourist season unaffected, the Telegraph in the U.K. reports. It's expected that raising the Costa Concordia is going to cause dirty water and debris to pour from the ship for a lengthy period of time, an unpleasant and even smelly undertaking.
The ship is only 300 metres off the shore and officials and citizens on Giglio feel this phase of the work could harm tourism. So while work underwater continues, they don't want the ship raised until September when the tourist seasons is over, which leaves them behind.
"The forecast is to see it rolled upright at the end of this summer and to remove it in the Spring of 2014,” the government of Tuscany, of which Giglio is a part, said in a statement on Tuesday.
Titan Salvage and Micoperi: raising Costa Concordia
Initially the 114,500 ton ship, of which 65 percent is underwater, was to be raised and towed away by January of 2013, one year after the Jan. 13, 2012 tragedy. The date was moved to the Spring of 2013 when it was realized the work was too difficult to complete so quickly, especially with weather setbacks. Then even that date was revised to this coming September. If it does take until the Spring of 2014 the Costa Concordia will have sat there for close to 2-and-a-half years.
The ship is being raised by the U.S. company, Titan Salvage, and Micoperi of Italy. Once up and ready to be removed, it will be towed to the port of Piombino for scrapping. There were over 4,200 passengers and crew onboard that night when Captain Francesco Schettino, who awaits a trial on multiple charges, took the ship too close to shore and hit a reef.
Thirty-two died, with two of the bodies yet to be recovered.