Michigan teenager finds human finger in Arby's beef sandwich
A 14-year-old-boy, Ryan Hart, was eating the last bit of his beef sandwich at an Arby's restaurant in Jackson, Michigan, when his teeth sank into something "rubbery." He spat the thing out, examined it, and to his horror it was part of a human finger.
reports Ryan, an eight grader, his eleven-year-old brother, their mother Jamie Vail and her friend Joe Wheaton, who live together in Blackman Township, had gone to Arby’s on Friday. They ordered sandwich at the drive-through window and stopped at the restaurant's parking lot to eat.
The teenager told Michigan Live
: "I was like, 'that's got to be a finger.' I was about to puke... it was just nasty."
reports that the county's health department confirmed that an employee had lost her finger while using a meat slicer. The inch long human finger was the finger pad part with visible fingerprints and first knuckle.
reports that Steve Hall, environmental health director for the Jackson County Health Department, said the worker left her station after she lost her finger and her colleagues continued completing customers' orders before they realized what happened.
comments that it was objectionable conduct on the part of the restaurant that it "did not close for the day but instead stopped food production for a short period of time so everything could be sanitized. "
According to Michigan Live
, Jamie Vail, Ryan's mother, said: "Somebody loses a finger, and you keep sending food out the window? I can't believe that." Vail said her son was "traumatized" by the incident and he has been having trouble eating or sleeping. According to Vail, the doctor had to prescribe him medication.
Vail said: “He hasn’t been able to sleep very good. He’s really worried lately and he doesn’t want to catch anything.”
Arby's vice president of corporate communications and public relations John Gray, said in a statement that the restaurant was "deeply concerned and apologetic to the guest involved in this unfortunate incident." Michigan Live
reports that Gray said: "Arby's wants to reassure customers that we are committed to providing quality food in a safe and healthy environment. "
reports that Gray said Arby’s stopped using the meat slicer and followed proper protocol for sanitizing the equipment. The restaurant on N. West Avenue remained open while the meat slicer was sanitized.
According to The inquisitr
, the family has contacted a lawyer to represent them in a potential lawsuit against Arby's.