Ted Nugent to plead guilty for illegal black bear kill in Alaska
Rocker and gun advocate Ted Nugent reached a plea agreement Friday after being charged with one count of transporting an illegally hunted bear.
The 63 year-old musician and avid wildlife hunter agreed to plead guilty
to the transportation of a black bear which he admitted to killing illegally in May of 2009. The charge was filed Friday in a U.S. District Court in Anchorage, Alaska and will end up costing the rocker $10,000 in fines.
Nugent also agreed to two-years probation, including special conditions stating he will not hunt or fish in Alaska for one year and to create a public service announcement to be broadcast on his TV show every second week for that said year.
Court documents say, Nugent was bow-hunting on Alaska’s Sukkwan Island in May of 2009 when he shot and wounded a bear and (as stated in the documents) “failed to locate and harvest the wounded black bear."
According to Alaska hunting regulations the wounded bear fulfilled his bag limit, making the second bear shot by Nugent four days later an illegal kill which in turn led to a violation of the federal Lacey Act when transported off the island. The violation occurred while filming an episode of his show, “Ted Nugent Spirit of the Wild.”
Wayne Anthony Ross, Nugent's attorney told the Anchorage Daily News
that the arrow only grazed the first bear.
“They've got apparently some crazy law in Southeast [Alaska] that says if you even touch an animal with an arrow, it becomes your animal,” Ross said.“He looked to see if he had hit it and didn't believe that he'd hit it fatally.”
The outspoken gun advocate has had his fair share of headlines in the past few weeks and was recently interviewed by the Secret Service after remarks made earlier this month at the National Rifle Association convention.
Nugent proclaimed that “If Barack Obama becomes the president in November, again, I will either be dead or in jail by this time next year." Later adding, "We need to ride into that battlefield and chop their heads off in November."
After meeting with two agents Thursday Nugent posted on his website
: "The meeting could not have gone better, I thanked them for their service, we shook hands and went about our business. God bless the good federal agents wherever they may be."
Secret Service spokesman Brian Leary said in a later interview with the Washington Post
: "The issue has been resolved" and he "does not anticipate any further action."