Afghan President Hamid Karzai has slammed Washington over its lack of cooperation in the probe into the killing of 16 Afghan civilians and the soldier is flown back to the USA.
Afghan President Hamid Karzai gives a speech at the National Military Academy of Afghanistan
U.S. Air Force photo by Staff Sgt. Sarah Brown
Digital Journal reported on 11 March 2012 that "at least one U.S. soldier" had massacred 16 villagers, including 9 children and several women.
A later article advised that the Afghanistan authorities were investigating the possibility that the killings were done by about 20 U.S. soldiers, and not just one lone gunman.
Karzai now slams the U.S. government over its lack of cooperation in the Afghan investigatory probe into the killings. He says that the U.S. stance has put him "at the end of the rope".
The Afghan delegation Karzai sent to look into the incident has not received the cooperation expected from American officials, according to RT.
"This has been going on for too long. This is by all means the end of the rope here," Karzai said after meeting with families of the civilians killed in the shooting spree.
During Karzai's meeting with the villagers, the relatives of the deceased insisted there was more than one shooter and complained that American authorities had failed to provide all the information they requested.
Kabul said earlier that there was a surveillance video that the U.S. government was not willing to share with Afghan investigators. They demand to know why.
NATO says that there was only one soldier behind the slaughter and various reasons have been given for the rampage including abuse of alcohol, post traumatic stress disorder and even a troubled marriage.
The 38-year-old Army staff sergeant, whose name is still not known, was relocated to a military base in Kuwait with the prospect of his being returned to the U.S. A recent Digital Journal report stresses the anger of the Afghan people over this fact. They demand he be tried in Afghanistan.
Afghan investigators who are carrying out the probe are convinced that it took more than one soldier to kill so many people in two villages within one hour.
They are considering the possibility that at least 15 to 20 soldiers were involved in the massacre, split into two groups, and villagers report that "drunken American soldiers" were involved in the massacre. The villagers stated that the soldiers were laughing, shooting, and then burning the bodies.
Today President Karzai said that he wished to preserve good relations with Washington, but that this was becoming increasingly difficult under the circumstances.
The U.S. should show more respect to Afghan culture and laws, he added. "This form of activity, this behavior, cannot be tolerated. It's past, past, past the time," says Karzai.
In a later breaking news announcement RT advised that the American soldier suspected of shooting 16 civilians in Afghanistan on Sunday is being moved to a military base in Kansas - this has been reported on AFP.
The soldier's civilian attorney, John Henry Browne says that he is expected to arrive at Fort Leavenworth on Friday afternoon
The soldier's name has still not been disclosed.
Video: Cross-talk on the situation in Afghanistan: