Hurricane Irene invades New York City in the dead of night

Posted Aug 28, 2011 by KJ Mullins
New York City for once was asleep as Hurricane Irene roared in with sustained winds of up to 80 miles an hour. Water is expected to rise as much as eight feet which would play havoc with the city's underground vaults.
Hurricane Irene- Aug. 26  2011.
Hurricane Irene- Aug. 26, 2011.
Deep underground lays New York City's cable and pipes that bring power to its city's residents. Those living in Manhattan, much of the city's elite and home to the nation's banking center are directly in the path of Mother Nature.
Late Saturday night the Port of New York and the Port for Long Island Sound had been shut down. By midnight the Palisades Interstate Parkway entrance to the George Washington Bridge in New York City was closed. For many who had waited to leave their window had closed. Those who defied the orders were left to wait out the storm.
Cabbies are the only ones brave or fool hardy enough to brave the winds on the streets for those who remained enough though Mayor Michael Bloomberg had ordered them to leave. The subways are idle, closed since noon Saturday waiting for Irene to blow through their underground tunnels.
Saturday morning Michael Bloomberg warned that the storm surge will be a very serious thing. "Prepare for the worst. Staying behind is foolish and against the law."
In the city's vast public housing sectors elevators were shut down in evacuation areas. It was an effort to get those who wanted to stay in their homes despite the warnings to leave and to make sure no one was trapped when the power went out.
In the lower laying areas of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Queens only 8,700 people checked into shelters. In the Park Slope sector of Brooklyn they came carrying their belongings in garage bags and carts.
Many New Yorkers decided to ignore the warnings, ordering alcohol for hurricane parties. Some grabbed their kayaks to test the stormy waters. In Brooklyn emergency crews were called at 7:00 p.m. Saturday to rescue two of those, men trapped in the stormy ocean.
It's not clear when the city will reopen their subway system. The MIT carries 5 million people across the city on an average week day.