Census shows Americans are getting older

Posted May 26, 2011 by Graeme McNaughton
The U.S. Census Bureau has released a brief showing that the country has grown older while the male population grew faster than the female population over the last decade.
Quinn Dombrowski
According to the report, the median age of Americans is now 37.2. This is up from 35.3 in the 2000 Census. The 1.9-year increase between 2000 and 2010 was a more modest increase than the 2.4-year increase in median age that occurred between 1990 and 2000.
The rise in the median age can be attributed to the aging of the baby boom population, stabilizing birth rates and a longer life expectancy. The average American life expectancy in 2010 was 78.3, a year and a half longer than in 2000.
The Census also showed that seven states had a median age of 40 or older: Maine (42.7), Vermont (41.5), West Virginia (41.3), New Hampshire (41.1), Florida (40.7), Pennsylvania (40.1) and Connecticut (40.0).
Maine overtook West Virginia and Florida as the state with the highest median age in 2010, the two states with the highest median age in the 1990 and 2000 Census'.
Utah remained the state with the lowest median age in the country. The youngest states remain the same as they were in the previous Census: Utah (29.2), Texas (33.6), Alaska (33.8) and Idaho (34.6). Utah had the highest percentage of population under age 18 (31.5 percent) and remained the only state with a median age under 30.
The brief also shows the male population grew 9.9 percent between 2000 and 2010, while the female population grew 9.5 percent. The 2010 Census shows that 50.8 percent of the population is female (157 million people), with males rounding out the other 49.2 percent (151.8 million).