Federal government must reconsider decision to scrap the mandatory long form Census: CAUT
OTTAWA, July 2
OTTAWA, July 2 /CNW Telbec/ - The organization that represents more than 65,000 researchers and academic staff at 122 universities and colleges across Canada wants the Conservative government to reconsider its decision to replace the mandatory long form Census with a shorter voluntary survey.
The Canadian Association of University Teachers is just one of several organizations protesting the decision announced last week, and wants Prime Minister Stephen Harper to sit down with a group of some of Canada's top researchers to hear why the mandatory long form Census must be restored.
"As the organization that represents Canada's academic research community, we are deeply concerned about the disastrous consequences this will have for the scientific understanding of Canadian society, and for the ability to make informed decisions about social and economic policies," said CAUT's executive director James Turk.
Turk says the current long form Census is the only source of regular, highly detailed, systematic information on immigration, family and household structure, racialization, demography and other vital information about Canadians.
The government has confirmed publicly that no consultation was undertaken before the decision was made.
"We've written to the Prime Minister to ask him to meet with a group of Canada's top researchers to discuss why this decision must be reversed, and we hope he takes us up on the offer before it's too late for next year's Census," Turk said.