Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMelania Trump re-files $150 million lawsuit against Daily Mail

By Arthur Weinreb     Feb 7, 2017 in World
New York City - After a judge threw out Melania’s libel suit against Mail Media Inc. filed in Maryland, the First Lady has re-filed it in New York state. The initial suit was tossed out because Mail Media Inc. did not have a sufficient connection to that state.
The lawsuit filed yesterday in the Supreme Court of the State of New York is seeking damages in the amount of $150 million. Melania had originally sued both Mail Media Inc. and blogger Webster Tarpley in Maryland for reporting rumours she had worked in the sex trade. The Maryland judge allowed her initial lawsuit to continue against Tarpley.
The Mail Online published an article on Aug. 19, 2016 entitled, “Naked photoshoots, and very troubling questions about visas that won’t go away: The VERY racy past of Donald Trump’s Slovenian Wife.” The article claimed Melenia’s work as a fashion model was a ruse and she actually worked as a high-end call girl during the 1990s. The article also disputes her version of how she met her husband and when she came to the United States. Tarpley first reported about Melania’s work in the sex industry and these rumours were picked up by the Daily Mail.
Melania stated in the court papers she “was not a sex worker, escort or prostitute in any way, shape or form.”
After the initial lawsuit was launched in Maryland, both the Daily Mail and Tarpley issued retractions.
In seeking $150 million in damages, Melania claims the untruths told about her damaged her ability to act as the First Lady of the United States. She is also claiming compensatory and punitive damages for the harm these allegations did and will do in the future to her business interests.
The suit claims Melania has been given a once-in-a-lifetime chance to be a famous person, had been a successful model and brand spokesperson and is a successful businesswoman. She has launched multiple product lines including apparel, jewelry, cosmetics and skincare products that could have resulted in multi-million dollar business relationships for a multi-year period. Melania also described herself as “one of the most photographed women in the world.”
Melania claims the false facts contained in the publications have damaged her ability to profit from her high profile. Her brands have lost value and her ability to obtain further business opportunities have been lost or severely impacted.
Melania is represented by attorney Charles Harder. Harder is known as the “Gawker-killer” after successfully representing wrestler Hulk Hogan in a defamation suit against Gawker. Harder said the retractions by Mail Online and Tarpley do not make a difference in the proceedings because reporters cannot make defamatory statements by reporting rumours.
Melania's Preliminary Statement can be read here.
More about melania trump, Libel, Lawsuit, Daily mail, mail online
More news from
Latest News
Top News