Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDiver dies while searching sunken South Korean ferry for victims

By Nathan Salant     May 5, 2014 in World
Jindo - A diver searching the sunken ferry Sewol for bodies lost in last month's disaster off South Korea died Tuesday when a communication line broke, authorities said.
The diver, whose name was given only as Lee, was found unconscious by colleagues and rushed by helicopter to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead, government rescue spokesman Koh Myung-suk told Cable News Network (CNN).
"A civilian diver, Lee, lost the communication line at 25 meters under the sea, five minutes into his first dive," Koh said. "By the time his colleagues went to save him, Lee was unconscious and unable to breathe by himself."
Lee's death came on a day when searchers pulled 11 more bodies from the wreckage of the ferry Sewol, bringing the death toll from the April 16 disaster to 263, with 39 still missing, CNN said.
South Korea's president, Park Geun-hye, visited the Jindo Island port where rescue efforts are based to console families and encourage the dozens of divers, CNN said.
Most of the ship's 476 passengers were high school students from Ansan on a holiday cruise to Jeju, an island off South Korea's southwestern tip.
Divers inside the sunken vessel are searching cabin-by-cabin, many of which are blocked by bodies or debris.
Debris from the Sewol has been found as much as nine miles from where the vessel sank, a spokesman for the rescue operation, Park Seung-ki, told CNN.
Divers plan to set up large nets around the ship to recover items that float away, CNN said.
One hundred seventy-four passengers were rescued in the hours after the Sewol sank but no one has been found alive since.
The ship is believed to have been seriously overloaded with cargo, making it unstable.
More about South Korea, sewol, Sunken ship, Jindo, Ansan
More news from
Latest News
Top News