Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageDebris retrieved from Indian Ocean not from Flight 370

By Nathan Salant     Mar 31, 2014 in World
Objects recovered by search teams trying to find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 were not from the missing jetliner, officials said Sunday.
Objects recovered by search teams trying to find Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 were not from the missing jetliner, officials said Sunday.
Items scooped up from the revised search area in the Indian Ocean off Australia turned out to be fishing equipment, unrelated debris and in one case, a dead jellyfish, according to Cable News Network (CNN).
"Nothing has yet been verified as being from [the missing plane], the Australian Maritime Safety Authority said Sunday.
Retrieved objects examined on the search ships "are not believed to be related to MH370," the AMSA statement said.
"The objects have been described as fishing equipment and flotsam," the agency said.
But new items spotted Sunday could prove to be more promising in determining the fate of the Boeing 777 that disappeared March 8 with 239 passengers and crew aboard.
The plane was en routine from Malaysia to China when it vanished from radar screens.
No trace of the jetliner has been found, but authorities believe the flight changed course and flew for hours over the Indian Ocean before crashing, probably when it ran out of fuel.
Australian air force Flight Lt. Russell Adams said one of his planes spotted four orange items of interest and took photos of them, but could not tell if they were from Flight 370.
The items were more than six-feet long and were marked for recovery in case further analysis determines retrieval is warranted, Adams said.
But Adams called the four objects "most-promising leads" in the search for the plane, CNN said.
Relatives of Flight 370 passengers in China protested again Sunday that authorities in Malaysia were not being forthcoming with them about the fate of the plane.
More than 150 of the passengers were Chinese nationals.
A group of family members who arrived Sunday in Kuala Lumpur held a news conference to urge more transparency on the part of officials in Malaysia, CNN said.
"We want evidence, we want truth and we want our family," said Jiang Hui, the families' designated representative, as a crowd chanted the same words.
"The Malaysian side should provide us with timely and comprehensive evidence and answer the families' questions," Jiang said.
Jiang also said Malaysia should apologize for releasing confusing information and for its March 24 announcement that the plane had crashed even though there is no evidence of that.
"We are here struck with sadness and urgency," Jiang said.
Hishammuddin Hussein, Malaysia's acting transportation minister, said Saturday that he had not given up on the hope that there could be survivors despite last week's announcement.
Beijing has been publicly critical of Malaysia's efforts to find the missing jet.
But Malaysia has insisted that it is doing the best it can.
"History will judge us as a country that has been very responsible," Hishammuddin told CNN.
Searchers are scrambling to find the location of the missing 777 because batteries on the two flight recorders are designed to last only a month, and the plane has been already missing for three weeks.
More about Malaysia, malaysia airlines, flight 370, Australia, China
More news from
Latest News
Top News