Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageTrump orders staff to impose $200 billion more tariffs on China

By Karen Graham     Sep 14, 2018 in Politics
Washington - US President Donald Trump has instructed his staff to move forward with the next round of $200 billion of tariffs on Chinese goods. This is occurring despite his Treasury secretary’s attempt to restart talks with Beijing.
But the formal announcement of the tariffs has been delayed as the administration considers revisions based on concerns raised in public comments, according to four people familiar with the matter, reports Bloomberg News.
The Financial Post is reporting the news of the fresh tariffs has roiled the financial markets. Apple said last week that additional tariffs would increase the cost of its products.
U.S. stocks erased gains, dropping to session lows, while the dollar strengthened versus the Chinese offshore yuan by the most in two weeks. Technology shares were hit hard, with Apple shares leading the declines, falling as much as 1.7 percent.
The White House didn’t immediately comment - choosing to keep quiet about this latest Trump tantrum.
President Donald Trump's aggressive actions against China and other trading partners are increa...
President Donald Trump's aggressive actions against China and other trading partners are increasingly worrying businesses and farmers hurt by the tariffs and retaliation
Eric BARADAT, AFP
Trump met with trade advisers
On Thursday, Trump met with his trade advisers to discuss the proposed China tariffs, including Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross and U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer, according to the four sources.
And Trump knows that Munchin has been making overtures to Beijing to restart the trade talks that ended without resolution this spring. But when the President was asked about if he was concerned about the impact new tariffs would have on the trade negotiations with China, he responded that he wasn’t, two of the people said.
The comment period for this latest round of tariffs had to be extended because there were so many businesses and individuals who had something to say. The U.S. trade representative's office received nearly 6,000 comments on the proposal.
US President Donald Trump recently threatened to slap punitive tariffs on all Chinese imports  which...
US President Donald Trump recently threatened to slap punitive tariffs on all Chinese imports, which accounted for more than $500 billion last year
SAUL LOEB, AFP
Trump has continued to be aggressive in his trade tactics, threatening on September 7 the $200 billion in tariffs "could take place very soon" and added that tariffs on a further $267 billion in goods were "ready to go on short notice if I want," reports the BBC.
Then, right before he met with his trade advisers on Thursday, Trump just had to take to Twitter again, boasting that he has the upper hand in the trade feud with Beijing and feels “no pressure” to resolve the dispute.
The biggest problem facing the administration's trade advisers is trying to rein the man in the Oval Office in a bit because they are running out of products to impose tariffs on that won’t more obviously impact American consumers, according to two of the sources.
More about Trump, China, additional tariffs, opposition in US, public comments