Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMayor Rob Ford victim of breach of privacy at Toronto hospital

By Marcus Hondro     Oct 16, 2014 in Politics
Mount Sinai Hospital in Toronto, where Rob Ford is being treated for a rare form of cancer, has admitted that the mayor's privacy was breached there. Two employees, the hospital said, accessed his personal health records.
The hospital released a statement on Thursday saying the Mayor's health records were “inappropriately accessed." The statement added that they have taken steps to discipline the two employees responsible for the breach. The two, the hospital noted,were not part of the care-giving team that is working with the mayor. Their names have not been released.
The Toronto Star quoted hospital spokesperson Sally Szuster as saying that upon discovering the 45-year-old mayor's records had been breached they "immediately investigated and appropriate action has been taken, as per our strict code of conduct and privacy policies.” She did not say what those actions were.
“We sincerely regret that these privacy breaches occurred,” Ms. Szuster also told the Star in an email. “Privacy for all of our patients is paramount and we will continue to be diligent in upholding our privacy policies and practices.”
Rob Ford: Rare cancer
Mayor Ford is being treated at Mount Sinai for a rare form of cancer called pleomorphic liposarcoma; his treatment regime includes chemotherapy. Upon being diagnosed with the illness last month, he dropped out of the race for mayor in the upcoming Oct. 27 Toronto municipal elections and his brother, Councillor Doug Ford, is running in his place.
Mayor Ford hasn't commented as yet on the breach of his health records. He returned briefly to the public eye on Wednesday when he cast his municipal ballot at an advance poll. When asked by reporters how he was feeling he replied that he was not feeling very well.
More about Mayor Rob Ford, Doug Ford, ford has cancer
More news from
Latest News
Top News