Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMan chokes to death during South Dakota hot dog eating contest

By Walter McDaniel     Jul 9, 2014 in Odd News
Custer - Walter Eagle Tail probably did not expect a hot dog eating contest to end in tragedy for him. Unfortunately the 47-year-old man got one piece caught in his throat and choked to death during the competition.
The contest was during the Fourth of July and people were reportedly having fun for a while at it. That fun was quickly interrupted when one of the participants began to choke. Within a few minutes Eagle Tail went from being fine to needing immediate medical attention.
Attendees at the contest attempted CPR on Eagle Tail but were unsuccessful. He died after several attempts to revive him on the scene with the aid of paramedics. One solid portion of a hot dog had become deeply wedged within his wind pipe, blocking all air to his body. The news has made headlines all over America, including in the Rapid City Journal that had an early report.
While tragic these incidents do happen here and there they are not terribly common. One man died after he won a roach-eating contest where he consumed a large amount of bugs. While eating contests are not inherently dangerous, except maybe to your cholesterol, there are some risks.
Most contests of this kind come off with people having no more than an upset stomach. There is even an industry built off of publicizing these events as well. Many hope that the next big eating contest we hear about goes quite a bit better.
More about South Dakota, Food, Eating, Accident, Death
More news from
Latest News
Top News