Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageTotal disrespect: Cops hijack, cremate teen rape victim's body

By Angela Atkinson     Jan 2, 2014 in Crime
Kolkata - A 16-year-old Indian girl was hospitalized following two separate gang rape attacks late last year, two days in a row. It's being reported police could have prevented the second attack had they been alert.
The first attack happened on Oct. 26, according to the South China Morning Post, and as she was returning to her family’s home after reporting the first rape at a local police station, she was attacked again by more than six men.
Though she managed to survive both attacks and return home, she was set on fire on Dec. 23 and died in the hospital late on New Year’s Eve, according to police.
"She gave us a dying declaration in front of the health officials that she had been set on fire by two people who were close to the accused when she was alone at home on December 23," local policeman Nimbala Santosh Uttamrao told the South China Morning Post.
The first arrests in this case were made Wednesday, according to the local police chief.
"The accused tried to kill my daughter by setting her on fire to hush up their crimes," the victim's father, a migrant taxi driver, reportedly said.
Victimized even in death
Unfortunately, even in death, Indian officials refuse to treat the girl with respect. As it turns out, Indian police hijacked the hearse that was carrying her body on Tuesday evening and against her family’s wishes, forcibly took it for cremation, according to the Times of India.
The girl’s father complained to the governor and demanded action against the “tyrannical” police officers, but it didn’t stop police from showing up at the grieving family’s home at 2:30 a.m. demanding the death certificate that would give them the right to cremate the body.
Worse, they showed up with the girl’s body in tow.
The family refused and was tormented by a police team throughout the night.
When the news got out to the community, an outpouring of support for the family came flooding forth, and protests began. The National Commission for Women, India (NCW) is among several prominent organizations that stepped forward in protest.
NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma said Wednesday that police could have prevented the second attack had they been alert.
"The girl was gang-raped once before going to the police station, and while returning, she was gang raped again. I don't think the role of police is right in this case,” Sharma said. “If the police had been alert, then they could have prevented her from being raped again. The chief minister should take up this case very seriously.”
Sharma added that she’d write a letter to the chief minister asking for answers, and that the organization is considering sending a committee to analyze the situation.
More about Indian police, Corruption, Gang rape, Sexism, Rape victim
More news from
Latest News
Top News