Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imagePaedophile Ian Watkins gets 35 years

By Alexander Baron     Dec 18, 2013 in Crime
Cardiff - Former rock star and convicted paedophile Ian Watkins was today given a 35-year sentence at Cardiff Crown Court. Investigations are ongoing.
The trial of Ian Watkins was reported here last month; he pleaded guilty to what have been called horrific charges. Today he was back at the same court along with his co-defendants where they all received heavy sentences.
Watkins was given a 29-year sentence with a further six years on licence for a total of 13 child sex offences. His two co-defendants were given 17 years and 14 years. This means that realistically Watkins can expect to spend at least another 18 years behind bars.
After he was sentenced, Detective Chief Inspector Peter Doyle gave a short statement to the media.
There are two other disturbing aspects to this case, one of them equally shocking. The former rock star's co-defendants were the mothers of the babies he abused; also, a woman who repeatedly warned the police about what he was doing was ignored, apparently written off as some sort of crank. For those with strong stomachs, a lengthy TV interview that details some of his crimes was uploaded to YouTube on November 29. They include the fact that Watkins made a 17-minute video of himself abusing one of his victims.
Earlier this month, the Daily Mail published an interview with Joanne Mjedzelics, the woman who first reported Watkins. Miss Mjedzelics is said to have an on-off relationship with him, then he confided his dark secret. She said too that he wanted to kill a baby.
In addition to an international investigation continuing into the activities of Ian Watkins, South Wales Police, South Yorkshire and Bedford Police forces are under investigation for their apparent intransigence over this case.
More about Paedophilia, lostprophets, ian watkins, Joanne Mjadzelics