Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMan sees Amber Alert, finds out he's babysitting abducted child

By Megan Hamilton     Apr 18, 2015 in Crime
Renton - A couple in Washington accidentally wound up as part of a kidnapping investigation this week after they found out that the toddler they were babysitting had been kidnapped and was the subject of an Amber Alert asking for his safe return.
Talking to a local news station, John Truong said that his sister had asked him and his wife if they could babysit her boyfriend's son on Tuesday night, Fox News reports. Truong's sister told him she and her boyfriend were planning an overnight date and she would pick the boy up Wednesday morning.
John Truong  who was shocked to find out he was babysitting a little boy for whom an Amber Alert had...
John Truong, who was shocked to find out he was babysitting a little boy for whom an Amber Alert had been issued.
YouTube screen grab
He didn't know that the boy and his mother had been kidnapped from their home in nearby Des Moines. An Amber Alert had been issued for their return, but Truong didn't find out about this until the next morning.
"I'm eating my breakfast, I'm checking my Facebook, all of a sudden I see this Amber Alert for this child," Truong told the station, per Fox News. "And it looks like this child in my bed, and I'm like, 'Oh my God! What's going on?'"
So Truong called police as the toddler, Ronnie Tran, sat watching TV and playing with the family dog, he said, according to The New York Daily News.
Authorities began searching for Ronnie after Truong's sister, Alyssa Chang, 46, and the child's paternal grandmother, Vien Nguyen, 65, allegedly kidnapped him and his mother from their home, police said.
The two women allegedly attacked Ronnie's mother with a Taser before tying her up, according to authorities. Then they drove the mother and boy to a garage 20 miles away in neighboring Fife and tied the mother up again, police said. Next, they took Ronnie into the house and left his mother alone in the garage, The New York Daily News reports.
Ronnie's mother didn't call police immediately, ABC News reports. Instead, she called a relative. Police weren't notified until about 9:00 p.m. and then an Amber Alert was issued.
When the mother spoke to investigators, she identified both of the suspects, authorities say, adding that the case is still under investigation.
"There's a lot of family dynamics involved," Des Moines police Sgt. Mike Graddon told ABC News. "As far as why, we can only speculate."
After responding to Truong's phone call, police were able to secure the boy, who was unharmed. Next, they were able to locate Chang and the care that was used in the alleged abduction at the home in Fife, where the child's mother had directed them to during her 911 call.
Ronnie's father, Kang Tran, met with police on Wednesday morning before he was found, police told ABC News. After several hours of interviews, he was not charged in connection with the incident.
The toddler was reunited with his mother and his father Wednesday afternoon.
Chang, who taken into police custody, and Nguyen, who turned herself in later Wednesday, both face three felony charges--kidnapping, felony assault, and unlawful imprisonment, ABC News reports.
Chang is still in police custody but police fingerprinted Nguyen and she was released for medical reasons, Graddon said.
"We're still trying to make sense of this whole thing," he said.
The Daily Mail reports that Chang is being held on $250,000 bail. Detectives haven't revealed a motive for the crime.
For Truong, the incident has come as a shock.
"I feel like she was just helping her boyfriend out and just got into this horrible situation," he said, per The Daily Mail. "We're family people, this is definitely not like this. Honestly I'm at a loss for words right now. It's just crazy."
More about Amber Alert, man babysits, abducted child, Renton, Washington
More news from
Latest News
Top News