Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

Sikh who removed turban to save boy's life gets new furniture

By JohnThomas Didymus     May 25, 2015 in Lifestyle
Auckland - A "Sikh Samaritan" who disregarded religious tradition and removed his turban to cradle the head of a five-year-old boy hit by a car has received new furniture from a New Zealand business owner as reward for his kind act.
Herman Singh, 22, was surprised when a furniture van arrived in front of his house and men began unloading a lounge suite, a bed and a coffee table, according to the Daily Mail.
He could not hold back tears when the furniture was delivered to his small sparsely furnished apartment.
All that the young man could say in response to the unexpected gift was "thank you, I am very happy."
But after he regained his composure he checked out his new furniture, describing it as the "biggest surprise of my life."
He added that if his father who passed away a year ago could see it, he would be very proud of his son.
Singh helped save the life of little Daejon Pahia who was hit by a car as he walked to school with his older sister on Manuroa Road at about 9 a.m. on Friday, 15 May in Takanini, New Zealand, according to Digital Journal.
Singh, a Sikh student from India, studying for a business degree in New Zealand, became an international hero after a photo showing him bare-headed, using his turban to support the head of Master Pahia, was posted to social media.
Harman Singh removes turban to save boy s life
Harman Singh removes turban to save boy's life
Twitter/Gagan Dhillon
The photo went viral immediately, with many people from around the world praising the young Sikh for his selflessness and elevation of humanity over religious protocol, Digital Journal reported.
The photo was snapped by another passer-by and fellow Sikh, Gagan Dhillon, who was moved to see Singh disregarding religious tradition to help save a boy's life.
Daejon's family, according to the Daily Mail, also gave Singh a thank you card, balloon and flowers, with the message, "Daejon and his family would just like to say thank you for helping and saving Daejon we're very grateful."
Daejon's mother Shiralee Pahia, told the New Zealand Herald that Singh's prompt action saved her son's life.
"I just really want to thank him because I know it's against his religion to take that kind of stuff off so I just really want to thank him because if it wasn't for him my son wouldn't be here."
She said she was shocked when she arrived at the scene and saw her son bleeding from the head.
"I was just shocked, I just went into my own little world, I didn't say anything to anybody, I was just pulling my head together. It just felt like a nightmare. I'm just glad he is all right and I'm grateful for those people who helped him. Everyone is just glad he is still here."
The New Zealand TV station, One News, discovered that the student from India slept on a mattress on a floor when reporters visited his home in Auckland. He also had a few plastic chairs and a plastic table in his lounge.
The New Zealand Herald reports that the TV station decided to contact Big Save Furniture, a chain store in New Zealand, which offered to furnish the student's home as a surprise gift.
Singh had visited Daejon, who was recovering at the Starship Children's Hospital in Auckland, four days after the accident. He gave the little boy a card and a balloon.
He said he was happy to see the boy recovering.
He told the Daily Mail, "I am just so happy to see him - he is such a very brave guy. He is doing well and is stable, but he was so shy when I would enter the room. He has lots of toys there with him. His mum and dad were so happy to see me and told me lots of times 'thank you.'"
Reacting to messages from around the world, he said, "Thousands of people have said 'well done.' I was only doing what I had to and trying to be a decent member of the community. Thanks to all the worldwide Facebook members who messaged me. I think I just did my job nothing else."
He told The New Zealand Herald, "I have had a lot of calls, a lot of messages. People are saying, 'I'm proud of you, bro' and saluting me - I can't even reply to all of the messages but I want to say that I am not a hero, I just wanted to get there for him and help the little boy."
Doctors had announced that Daejon was in a stable condition soon after he was admitted to the hospital with a fractured skull, deep gashes and a lacerated kidney, according to the New Zealand Herald.
Daejon's mother said that although the little boy was recovering and regaining his appetite, he did want to talk about the incident.
"He doesn't want anybody to talk about it. We tried to talk to him about it but he just turns away, he doesn't want to hear about it," she said.
More about Sikh, Herman Singh, Furniture, Auckland, Daejon Pahia