Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter
Blog Posted in avatar   David Schroer's Blog

The Multi-Choices of Multi-Vitamins

blog:21113:0::0
By David Schroer
Posted Apr 12, 2013 in Health
The Multi-Choices of Multi-Vitamins
Generally when we think of Vitamins we associate them with health, feeling good and promoting a healthy lifestyle. But if you have ever walked the price tagged laden aisles of a Wal-Mart or other super centers the daunting array of choices may just seem too much. Bottle after bottle of isolated synthetic vitamins ranging from 2-3$ to well over 30$.
How is one to determine a healthy economical multivitamin that you’re not just going to flush down the toilet..literally.
In order to understand how to choose a correct multi-vitamin we must first outline the differences. Drawing a parallel to the food and drug administration multivitamins and the latter are both split down the middle by the same line. Natural or Organic Vs Synthetic.
Synthetic Vitamins otherwise known as Isolated Vitamins or Isolates which are all derived from various sources in a laboratory setting and produced under strict standards known as USP grade. USP Grade meaning that they come from licensed production laboratories and meet the strict standards of the United States Pharmacopeia.
Now this is where that dividing line comes in to play. The issues with synthetic sources are let’s say you’re taking a USP Grade Vitamin C supplement. Unless otherwise labeled that is all you’re getting, Vitamin C (absorbic acid) usually derived from corn in a lab setting. The problem which arises is that with Vitamin C all by itself our bodies cannot do much with it, and expels it as waste, usually the highlighter tinted urine some of us are acquainted with.
What must be taken into effect is that when you get Vitamin C from a non-laboratory setting you’re getting a whole heck of a lot more than just Absorbic Acid.
Enter Vitamin Co-factors
Let’s say you have a capsule of powder from a whole-food derived vitamin c, compared to a synthetic Vitamin C tablet. Only about 10% of the powder making up the WFD Capsule is actually the Vitamin C or absorbic acid the remaining 90% is what we call the Vitamin Co-factors which naturally accompany the Vitamin C when derived from whole food sources. Co-factors generally consist of enzymes, trace minerals and antioxidants which are present in the whole food at the time of harvest.
Think of it working this way. Let’s say we have a truck load of compost to fertilize 1 acre of vegetables. If we dump the truck load in the middle of that acre and leave it, how well absorbed will it be for the entire acre? Not that well, right? Well now think of Vitamin Co-Factors as the farm-hands, 20 or 30 people who each take a bit of the compost and help distribute it over the entire acre. This is a rough explanation of how the various enzymes, trace minerals and anti-oxidants found in whole food derived multi-vitamins can work in the body.
Choosing a Whole Food Derived Vitamin.
Unfortunately for the consumer, for every vitamin manufacturer that is putting out high quality products under the strictest regulations available; there are 10 who aren’t. Recently Consumer Labs did a report on which vitamins were approved under their strict standards. Resources such as this are great ways for consumer to sift out the bad from the good.
On that list were quite a few recommendations both synthetic and whole food derived so we have provided you with the top ones of each.
*Synthetic Vitamins aren’t bad. They just aren’t very effective by themselves. The good thing with synthetic vitamins is that they are cheap, and some manufacturers have found ways to provide synthetic sources with natural additives that mimic the Co-factors or ‘farmhands’. We see this as a step in the right direction because this allows for a cheaper option then the whole-food derived sources while still offering an effective product.
The best example offering both affordability and effectiveness is
Nature’s Way Alive Once Daily
Now if you are sold on the idea of Whole Food Derived Multi-Vitamins then we recommend the Consumer Labs approved
Garden of Life Vitamin Code Men’s & Women’s Formula
Also available for adults 50 Years of Age Plus
Garden of Life Vitamin Code Men’s & Women’s Formula 50 and Wiser
When it comes down to it everyone should be focused on improving the health of themselves and their family. We are so dedicated to helping people and families to do this in the most affordable and non-invasive way we can which is why we take the time to help give everyone resources like this to make this task just that much easier.
Thank You,
-David Schroer

blog:21113:0::0
Latest News
Top News