Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

NASA says destroyed Chinese satellite is no threat to space station

By Carolyn E. Price     Jan 23, 2007 in World
China's stunning missile launch and subsequent hit is not an "immediate" threat to the space station
NASA is reporting that debris scattered about by a satellite destroyed by Chinese authorities earlier this month poses no immediate threat to the International Space Station.
"We are always performing debris analysis and so far we do not see any need for debris avoidance manoeuvres," Michael Griffin, a NASA administrator, told a news conference in Paris attended by representatives of agencies participating in the construction of the space station.
China has publicly commented that yes indeed, it has tested a 'satellite-destroying weapon' on an old weather satellite on January 11, 2007. The move has sparked international concern about the Asian giant's rising military power and a potential arms race in space.
The test means that China becomes the third country after the United States and the former Soviet Union who are capable of shooting something down in outer space.
The International Space Station, a joint venture between five agencies -- from Canada, Europe, Japan, Russia and the United States -- orbits the earth at an altitude of 400 kilometre (250 miles).
More about China, Destroyed, Satellite, Debris