Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageAxe body spray results in school shutdown, hospitalizations

By Michael Thomas     Nov 2, 2013 in Odd News
Brooklyn - The smell of Axe body spray can often be an annoyance. In Brooklyn, it proved to be more than that when a sixth-grade boy sprayed large amounts of it in a classroom, resulting in the school shutting down and classmates hospitalized.
In total, eight children were sent to hospital, and two others were sent to their own doctors after a student sprayed Axe at about 1 p.m. on Wednesday at Medgar Evers College Preparatory School, according to TIME.
Emergency crews then apparently rushed to the school to investigate the "hazardous smell," only to find out that the smell was actually Axe.
The hospitalizations make sense when considering the amount of spray used in a confined space. It can be compared to hit by pepper spray, which HowStuffWorks describes as the feeling of biting into a hot chili pepper, but with the sensation affecting your eyes, nose and throat as well. Being sprayed can leave the burning feeling for 45 to 60 minutes if untreated, and can cause temporary blindness for 15 to 30 minutes.
Business Insider reports that the student is now facing disciplinary action.
TIME also adds that this isn't the first time Axe has been more than just an odorous annoyance marketed to teen boys. Freedom High School in Bethlehem, Pa. banned Axe in March after a student was hospitalized. Last year, a fire alarm went off in a Connecticut high school when students sprayed too much Axe.
More about Axe body spray, Axe, Brooklyn, body spray
More news from
Latest News
Top News