Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageCosta Concordia to be removed by massive Dutch transport ship

By Marcus Hondro     Oct 12, 2013 in World
A Dutch salvage firm, Royal Boskalis NV said on Thursday they've won a $30 million contract to remove the Costa Concordia. The Italian cruise ship partially sunk 300 metres off of the shore of Giglio Island in the Tuscan Bay on Jan. 13, 2012.
Royal Boskalis NV plans to remove the Costa Concordia next summer by use of their giant ship, the Dockwise Vanguard, normally used for transporting oil platforms. The 114,000 ton Costa Concordia partially sunk when a hole was torn into its hull after it hit a reef.
Dockwise Vanguard to remove Costa Concordia
The largest semi-submersible ship in the world, the Dockwise Vanguard has a flat deck that is 275 metres by 70 metres and is designed to carry extremely heavy and large loads. It fills ballast tanks with water and operates while sitting below water level.
"When the ballast tanks are flooded, the ship deck submerges below the surface, allowing her to handle deep draught cargoes," a Royal Boskalis press release reads. "Once the Dockwise Vanguard is semi-submersed, the floating Concordia will be brought in position above the deck and as the ballast tanks are emptied, the entire ship, including the Costa Concordia, is brought above the water line, allowing her to transport the cargo in a safe and swift manner."
Companies refloat Costa Concordia
In mid-September, after a year-and-a-half of preparation work, the American company Titan Salvage and Italian company, Micoperi, righted the Costa Concordia using a technique called parlbuckling. Sixty-five percent had been underwater but the ship now sits upright on a platform; crews continue to stabilize the ship to help it withstand winter storms.
At one point earlier this year the company that owns the Costa Concordia, Carnival Cruises, said the ship would be taken to the Italian port of Piombino to be scrapped. However, they now say they have not decided where the work will be done.
There were over 4,200 passengers and crew aboard the Costa Concordia and 32 died, with the final two bodies only having been recovered after the ship was righted. The Captain, Francesco Schettino, is on trial in Grosetto, Italy, charged with manslaughter, causing a shipwreck and abandoning his ship. He has pleaded not guilty to all charges.
More about Costa Concordia, the parlbuckling project, Francesco Schettino, titan salvage
More news from Show all 10