Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageMan dies after eating too many high-caffeine mints

By Michael Thomas     Oct 13, 2013 in Odd News
Wednesbury - John Jackson, 40, died of a caffeine overdose after eating too many Hero Instant Energy Mints, a coroner's report said Friday.
Coroner Robin Balmain said in his report that Jackson had twice the recommended adult daily intake of caffeine in his blood. Balmain also said he had never before seen a caffeine overdose as a cause of death.
The Mirror reports that Jackson had 155 mg of caffeine per litre of blood in his system; only 10 mg would have been considered an overdose.
Jackson's daughter, Rebecca Court, said that her father treated the high-caffeine mints just like they were regular mints.
"There is a warning on them, but it's tiny and in the shops they're sold next to all the other mints," she said. "It's scary. I think they should be sold behind the counter."
Balmain said that he believes the public should be aware of the mints, each of which contain as much caffeine as an entire energy drink. The website for Hero Energy recommends that pregnant women and those under 16 should not consume the mints, and that the maximum number of mints anyone should take per day is five. Hero Instant Energy Mints are currently only available in the UK.
Paul Hayes and Steve Hones, directors of the company, said in a statement that they were "shocked and deeply concerned." The statement went on to say that this is the first incident the company has seen since its inception in 2011.
More about Hero Instant Energy Mints, Caffeine, Caffeine overdose, wednesbury
More news from
Latest News
Top News