Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageEgypt’s crisis intensifies as international mediation collapse

By Abdul Kuddus     Aug 7, 2013 in World
Cairo - Egypt is reportedly heading toward one of the gravest crisis since the fall of Hosni Mubarak in 2011, as international efforts to broker a consensus between hardliners has collapsed.
Reportedly, Egypt’s interim President, Adli Mansour, issued a statement announcing that 10 days of negotiations to solve the deadlock between supporters and opponents of deposed leader Mohamed Morsi has failed.
Mansour’s office blamed the Muslim Brotherhood responsible for the failure of the talks, the Independent reported.
The statement came hours after US Deputy Secretary of State William Burns left Cairo, having failed to broker a consensus between the army-installed government and Morsi's supporters.
The Muslim Brotherhood and Morsi supporters have camped out in thousands for more than a month on the streets of Cairo. They want their toppled president restored to power and the Morsi-sponsored constitution of 2012 revived.
Since Morsi’s removal, more than 300 people have been killed in clashes between Brotherhood supporters and the Egyptian military.
Following the presidential statement, Egypt’s Prime Minister Hazem El Beblawi declared on state television that a decision had been taken to clear the Brotherhood supporters from its two Cairo encampments. According to Hazem El Beblawi the decision is “irreversible”.
"The cabinet affirms that the decision to disperse the Rabaa Adawiya and Nahda sit-ins is a final decision, on which all agree, and there is no going back on it,” he said, according to AFP report.
Reportedly the police are ready for breaking up the sit-ins, where thousands are camped out in tents. Morsi’s supporters, which include women and children have built barricades and armed themselves with sticks and rocks.
Gehad el-Haddad, a Brotherhood representative said that they would not accept anything less than the return of Mr Morsi to office. According to the Telegraph, he said:
“We expect them now to try to break down the sit-ins, but we don’t expect them to succeed. There is nothing we can do except stand with our bodies in the face of their bullets.”
The latest developments come after a week-long intense shuttle diplomacy by US, European and Gulf nations to prevent Egypt’s movement toward civil unrest by trying to break the deadlock between hardliners on both sides.
Western envoys tried to influence the Brotherhood to end its sit-ins. They also asked the government to release jailed Islamist leaders as a confidence-building measure, AFP reported.
Commenting on breakdown of talks, the European Union special envoy, Frans Timmermans, expressed concern. He said:
"What I see is that confrontation is mounting and that more people will turn to the streets to protest and the tendency in the armed forces to repress that will mount."
"So I think there's need to be worried about the next days and weeks."
More about Egypts crisis intensifies, mediation had failed, mediation collapses, diplomacy has failed to resolve crisis, Clear Muslim Brotherhood supporters
More news from
Latest News
Top News