Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageYemen says it foiled plot against oil and gas facilities

By Sami Zaatari     Aug 7, 2013 in World
The Yemeni government has said that it has foiled an attempted attack on oil and gas facilities in the country. The plot also allegedly involved the take over of two cities.
According to Rajeh Badi, a press advisor to the Yemeni president, the alleged plot by members of Al-Qaeda was to storm and "seize" the oil and gas facilities on the 27th night of Ramadan, which was on Sunday.
Part of the plot also included the blowing up of gas lines, as well as an attempt to take over two cities in a string of coordinated assaults.
Whether the foiled attack is linked to the threat U.S. authorities have been warning about, is unclear. The U.S. issued an alert last week warning of an imminent threat to U.S. embassies and consulates across the Middle East and North Africa.
In recent days the threat has mainly centred on Yemen, with the U.S. embassy in Yemen sending out an emergency message to U.S. citizens telling them to leave the country at once. Seventy-five U.S. embassy staff members were evacuated out of Yemen by military aircraft yesterday.
Meanwhile, the U.S. has continued to carry out drone strikes in Yemen, a drone strike today killed at least six alleged militants, the latest drone strike was the fifth to have been carried out in less that two weeks.
More about Yemen, Oil and gas, Alqaeda, AlQaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, drone strikes
More news from
Latest News
Top News