Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageEmbassies shut down worldwide in fear of Al Qaeda terror threat

By Bethan Rose     Aug 4, 2013 in World
A global travel alert has been issued by the U.S. department following terror threats from Al Qaeda. U.S. embassies have been ordered to close today as a preventative measure. High risk is said to be in the Middle East and North Africa.
According to Fox News, approximately 22 U.S. embassies have closed down and the State Department has delivered a worldwide travel alert. This news comes after Rep. Peter King reported the threats as "very specific".
On Saturday afternoon, the White House held a high level meeting in a bid to address the problem. A number of important people were present at the meeting, including the secretaries of state, FBI and CIA directors, and the homeland and defense security. No other travel alerts of this kind have been announced since one that was broadcast before the 10th anniversary of 9/11.
Rep. Peter King is the chairman of the subcommittee on Counter-terrorism and Intelligence. He aired his views on the subject, telling CNN "There's very little doubt that something serious is being planned. It's a potential series of attacks. It could be anywhere." The Yemen-based affiliate of Al Qaeda has previously been associated with schemes to rupture commercial flights and cargo destined for America.
On Thursday, officials from the State Department declared that they were intervening, following the proclamation that the terror group were planning an unspecified attack. The terror group are said to be in the final stages of planning and they may display efforts to execute the attacks between now and the end of August.
Although fine details have not been announced, U.S. officials are taking the threats seriously.
More about us officials, global terror threat, Al qaeda, Alqaeda, Attack
More news from
Latest News
Top News