A firefighter of the Santiago de Chile Fire Department is being hailed as a hero after he rescued from a burning house a dog that was showing faint vital signs and applied resuscitation procedures using rescue breathing and chest compressions (CPR).
A house fire in the borough of Central Station in Santiago de Chile killed an 82-year-old woman who could not be rescued from the flames despite the efforts of volunteers from several fire companies who came to the scene. The fire occurred Monday night July 22, and was caused by an electrical malfunction of a heating device that was being used by the woman.
Inside the house, firefighters also found three dogs belonging to the woman killed in the fire. One of the dogs was still alive, but had been severely affected by the flames and smoke. Firefighter David Bravo, 27, took the dog out of the razed house and noted faint vital signs. He proceeded to apply CPR including chest compressions and rescue breathing. After working for about five minutes the dog regained consciousness. The animal, a female of undetermined pedigree with the name of "Gorda Bella" was taken to a veterinary hospital where she was treated for burns in part of her body and, despite being somewhat debilitated, is in apparent recovery.
Bravo, a kinesiologist and volunteer of the Sixth Company of the Santiago Fire Department (CBS) said not having been aware that his dog-resuscitation efforts were being recorded, reports SoyChile (in Spanish).
"I belong to a rescue unit. Our priority is saving lives, both human and animal. I entered the house and saw the dog on the floor. It was not breathing. It was apparently dead. I took it up and brought it out and started to perform recovery maneuvers. I did not hesitate. I did not think the dog could bite me, so I started mouth to mouth resuscitation", said Bravo.
David Bravo has been hailed as a hero after the video captured by a neighbour with a cell phone was uploaded to YouTube: