Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageCoroner finds Cory Monteith died from heroin and alcohol overdose

By Marcus Hondro     Jul 16, 2013 in Entertainment
Canadian actor Cory Monteith died from a mix of heroin and alcohol, the British Columbia coroner's office said on Tuesday. The star of the hit TV show 'Glee' was found in his Vancouver hotel room around noon on Saturday.
"Post-mortem testing, which included an autopsy and toxicological analysis, found that Mr. Monteith, aged 31, died of a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol," a statement released Tuesday from the coroner's office said. "It should be noted that at this point there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith's death was anything other than a most-tragic accident."
Monteith: 30-day rehab in April
Monteith had been through a 30-day drug rehab program in California in April and was reported to be doing well; he had spent time with his girlfriend Lea Michele and in May was in Vancouver at a NHL hockey game with her. Following his rehab he told "Parade" magazine he felt he was "lucky to be alive."
He had just returned from Vancouver Island, where he grew up, and where he had been hiking for a number of days. He was staying alone at the Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel and staff there checked his room at noon PST Saturday when he failed to check out. He was pronounced dead at the scene by medial personal.
There is a high rate of overdose mortality with heroin addicts following treatment. Should a user relapse and go back to the amount of heroin they used before treatment, the body can react badly and the results can be fatal. However, the coroner did not specify how much heroin Monteith used or what role the alcohol played in his death.
Video from the hotel indicates the actor, who played Finn Hudson on 'Glee,' returned to his hotel room early Saturday morning on his own.
More about Cory Monteith, cory monteith coroner report, Overdose, cory monteith death
More news from
Entertainment Video
Latest News
Top News