Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageUsing iPhone while charging may kill you

By Eko Armunanto     Jul 16, 2013 in Odd News
A Chinese woman was accidentally electrocuted to death by an iPhone 5. Her family said she used the device while it was charging when the electric shock occurred. Her sister demands an explanation from Apple and warns others not to use it while charging.
According to China Daily, local police have confirmed electrocution as the cause of Ma Ailun’s death, but have not been able to point to whether her smartphone played a role. This is just the latest in a series of alleged phone-related injuries. The daily said Ma was electrocuted while trying to answer a call on her iPhone while the device was charging.
Her older sister posted a message Saturday on Sina Weibo, the Chinese equivalent of Twitter, saying “I hope that Apple Inc. can give us an explanation. I also hope that all of you will refrain from using your mobile devices while charging.”
In a statement Sunday, Apple said the company felt deeply sorry for the unfortunate accident and expressed condolences to the victim and her family. The company will hold a thorough probe into the case, and will be in full cooperation with investigations.
Reporting the same accident, Sina Tech said the sister's post on Sina Weibo had been reposted more than 3,000 times. It stirred a heated discussion on the Internet about whether it was unsafe to use mobile phones while recharging. Many experts said mobile phones have a low output of only 3 to 5 volts, which isn't enough to harm the human body. "However, if the charger or the circuit has a problem, such as a broken wire, it can lead to a shock of 220 volts," a senior physics teacher at a Nanjing high school was quoted as saying.
Sina further reported that in 2010 a man from northeast China was killed by an electric shock when making a phone call with a handset that was being recharged with an unauthorized charger, quoting China Consumers Association. Xu Xuelu, an expert with the Nanjing Appliance Repairing Association, recommended people avoid making calls with their mobile phone while it is being recharged.
iPhone is, however, not the only one. Reported July 9 by Laptop magazine, a Samsung Galaxy S III exploded in a Swiss woman’s pocket. The magazine said Fanny Schlatter, an apprentice painter, was loading paint cans into her boss’s truck when she heard a noise like a firecracker, and smelled chemicals before her work pants caught on fire.
More about iphone 5, Apple iPhone, iPhone
More news from
Latest News
Top News