Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageSuspected terrorist attack in London: Man hacked to death

By Robert Myles     May 22, 2013 in World
London - One man is reported to have died and two men have been injured after a possible terrorist attack on the streets of Woolwich in southeast London.
The British Prime Minister, David Cameron, who is presently travelling back to the UK from a European Union summit is France has summoned the UK government’s crisis response committee, COBRA, the Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms A, so seriously is the UK government treating the threat.
Eyewitness reports say a man was attacked on the street by two assailants wielding machetes. The two attackers are reported to have been shot by police officers responding to an emergency call.
According to local Member of Parliament Nick Raynsford, the dead man was a soldier at Woolwich barracks but the identity of the deceased has yet to be confirmed.
According to Nick Robinson, the BBC’s political editor, speaking on BBC News tonight, there are unconfirmed reports that the attackers, believed to be of Muslim appearance, shouted ‘Allahu Akbar’ usually translated as ‘God is Great’ as they carried out their attack.
Press Association report a witness, identified only as ‘James’ saying two men attacked another man, estimated to be aged 20. The victim was said to be wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with a graphic of the military charity Help for Heroes.
The witness told LBC radio, "These two guys were crazed. They were just animals. They dragged him from the pavement and dumped his body in the middle of the road and left his body there.”
He added that after the "horrendous" attack, the two men, also thought to be in their 20s, hung around, waving knives and a gun, and asked people to take pictures of them "as if they wanted to be on TV or something".
In a brief statement, a spokesman for London’s Metropolitan Police said that a number of weapons, including firearms had been used in the frenzied attack. Firearms officers had attended at the scene and found one man dead.
BBC television news tonight later appeared to confirm reports that the incident had been filmed with one of the attackers taking a video of his co-assailant as the victim, later pronounced dead, lay in the street.
International Business Times has sourced a number of images relating to the incident from Twitter. Warning: Some of these images graphically portray what took place in John Wilson Street, Woolwich this afternoon.
Update: ITV has obtained exclusive footage showing a man with bloodied hands, holding a meat cleaver and speaking to camera. The man says, "We must fight them as they fight us. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth," then adds "I apologise that women have had to witness this today, but in our land our women have to see the same. You people will never be safe. Remove your government, they don't care about you."
Warning: Some viewers may find the viseo footage upsetting.
More about London machete attack, london terrorist attack, Terrorism, soldier beheaded, muslim terrorist
More news from
Latest News
Top News