Email
Password
Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageO.J. Simpson: New trial for '08 robbery case hinges on hearing

By Yukio Strachan     May 11, 2013 in Crime
Las Vegas - Orenthal James "OJ" Simpson will take the stand next week in a special hearing that will determine whether the former star football star gets a new trial in the Las Vegas robbery case.
Simpson is serving a nine-to-33-year sentence that makes him first eligible for parole at age 70.
The 65-year-old NFL Hall of Famer was convicted Oct. 3, 2008 in Las Vegas ––13 years to the day after a Los Angeles jury acquitted Simpson of killing his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman –– for kidnapping, armed robbery and assault with a deadly weapon. Simpson didn't testify in either trial.
But Simpson will testify in Las Vegas next week. A court official confirmed Simpson's evidentiary hearing is set for May 13 to May 17 at 9 a.m in Clark County District Court Judge Linda Marie Bell's courtroom, Fox 5 reported Friday evening.
Simpson's new attorney Patricia Palm filed a 94-page petition with the Clark County District Court saying the embattled former NFL star was poorly represented in his 2008 trial connected to a run-in with sports memorabilia dealers at the Palace Station Hotel and Casino.
In fact, Simpson said he told his former attorney Yale Galanter in advance what he planned to do: confront the two sellers in Las Vegas and retrieve items that he believed had been stolen from him, according to NFL news.
"I fully disclosed my plan to Yale Galanter, and he advised me that I was within my legal rights," he said in the petition.
Simpson said the two men even had dinner together at a casino restaurant the night before. Galantar advised Simpson the plan was "legally permissible so long as there would be no trespass and no physical force used," the court filing said.
Simpson said he believed him.
Galanter also didn't tell him about a plea offer by prosecutors that would have gotten him a minimum of two years in prison.
"Had I understood that there was an actual chance of conviction, I would have accepted such an offer," Simpson said.
Simpson claims that at trial, Galanter told him he didn't need to testify because prosecutors didn't have the evidence to prove their case.
Galanter, who is expected to testify at the upcoming hearing, declined to comment ahead of his appearance.
This isn't the first time "The Juice" has asked for a new trial.
In his first Nevada appeal, Simpson unsuccessfully argued that he was denied a fair hearing because prosecutors improperly rejected two African-Americans from the potential jury pool, CNN writes. The final jury of nine women and three men consisted of 10 white jurors and two Hispanic jurors, but no African-American jurors, the station said.
What you think about the case? Does Simpson deserve a new trial? Let us know in the comment section below!
More about Oj simpson, New trial, Armed robbery, Yale Galanter
More news from
Latest News
Top News