Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageOne suspect dead, another still on the loose in Boston manhunt

By Eric Morales     Apr 19, 2013 in Crime
Boston - One of the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings is still on the loose, causing the Watertown-Boston area to be on a lockdown following a carjacking and firefight with police.
The manhunt for the two accused Boston Marathon bombers ratcheted up yesterday following the release of photos of the two suspects by the FBI, then the situation took a deadly toll.
The men identified as Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26-years-old and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19-years-old both from Chechnya, shot a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer fatally wounding the officer Thursday night near Cambridge. The officer died of multiple gunshot wounds according to Uticaod.
Following the murder of the MIT police officer both brothers carjacked an Mercedes Benz, telling the driver according to media reports that the two were indeed the Boston Marathon bombers. Police began to pursue the stolen vehicle, the search eventually led law enforcement to Watertown just a few miles outside of greater Boston.
Photos released by the FBI of potential suspects in the Boston Marathon attacks
Photos released by the FBI of potential suspects in the Boston Marathon attacks
After nearly half an hour in the custody of the accused bombers the driver was released as the two brothers threw explosives outside of the vehicle, critically wounding a transit police officer.
By 1 A.M. in the morning on Friday, Tamerlan Tsarnaev was dead, doctors at an area hospital say the dead suspect was treated for multiple gunshot wounds and a possible blast injury before he was pronounced dead.
Massachusetts State Police superintendent called the situation "very grave." Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis reiterated the situation,"We believe this to be a terrorist, we believe this to be a man who came here to kill people."
Residents in both Boston and Watertown have been ordered to stay put, and not exit their homes. Transit lines stretching from Boston to Providence R.I. have been temporarily suspended according to CBS News.
Boston cab driver Imran Saif told CBS News he was standing on a street corner at a police barricade across from a diner when he heard an explosion. "I heard a loud boom and then a rapid succession of pop, pop, pop," he said. "It sounded like automatic weapons. And then I heard the second explosion."
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and President Barack Obama were regularly briefed overnight on the situation as over 9,000 law enforcement officers continue the hunt for the sole surviving bomber.
More about Boston, boston marathon explosions, Chechnya, Suspects
Latest News
Top News