Remember meForgot password?
    Log in with Twitter

article imageUPDATE Boston area remains locked down

By Micki Hogan     Apr 19, 2013 in Crime
Boston - UPDATE Boston and surrounding areas remain in lock down after one bombing suspect has been killed, the other still at large. One suspect was in custody while being transported to a hospital but later died from multiple gunshot wounds.
UPDATE LIVE NEWS FEED from Boston television channel WCVB
FBI stated then later confirmed the strong possibility the person who was in custody, then later died is one of the Boston bombers. It has now been confirmed that in fact the suspect now identified asTamerlan Tsarnaev, 26 was killed during a violent spree that took place overnight. The second suspect Dzhokhar A. Tsarnaev remains at large, and is to be considered armed and extremely dangerous.
According to Yahoo News,the city of Boston and the surrounding areas remain in a lock down status. Reports of empty intersections during rush hour confirm the area is being tightly secured. Also involved in the lock down: Watertown, Waltham, Belmont, Cambridge, Newton, Allston and Brighton. A no fly zone has been declared over Watertown. Gov. Deval Patrick ordered the shut down of all public transportation in the area.
Media tried their best to keep up with the conflicting reports as they came in live. At one point media was reporting that the suspect had been placed into custody, It was later confirmed the suspect was in fact killed.
We now learn that the reports aired of the suspect in custody was in fact was accurate as the suspect was in custody while being transported to Beth Israel Medical Center with multiple gunshot wounds and in cardiac arrest. He died at the hospital from his wounds. It has been reported the suspect had explosives strapped to him.
Watertown played a major part of mayhem last night as the suspects fled to the area after hijacking a Mercedes Benz. The driver was later released. This took place after the suspects robbed a Seven Eleven store where an MIT Campus officer was killed while responding to the call.
The suspects have been confirmed as brothers who came to the United States from Russia at an early age. Both are reported to have strong ties to Islamic religions. It is unclear at this point if they are going to be considered terrorists or spies.
Chaos ensued as the public officers from SWAT. ATF, FBI, Homeland security and local police officers from all areas of Boston responded to the scene. A massive manhunt is still underway and responders are warning this is a critical situation.
K9 dogs and explosive robots were also used. Multiple explosive weapons were left in various areas. The suspects are also reported to used grenades as the manhunt continued through out the night. At one point an explosion was heard after some one was heard screaming "Fire in the hole." One point the explosive robot was used to clear an Mercedes Benz SUV the suspects hijacked after explosives were found there.
Residents of the area are asked to stay indoors, stay updated with news reports, and report anything suspicious immediately by calling 911.
“This situation is grave and we are trying to protect the public safety,” said Massachusetts State Police Col. Timothy Alben
An updated time line of the events can be found here
A live feed of the ongoing manhunt is posted in the link at the top of this article.
More about boston marathon, boston marathon explosions, bsoton bomb, Bomb, Officer shot
More news from Show all 18
Latest News
Top News